Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

2011 vw jetta tdi

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 05:07 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Default 2011 vw jetta tdi

looking into purchasing a new vehicle, have a truck, got my jeep, so i was lloking at these. any one have one or have any experience with them. and at a price of 24k brand new and getting 30/42 mpgs it sounds about right to me! its no but its a pretty slick looking vehicle.

Last edited by jfiedler; 01-13-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Ford Focus SE. I'm averaging around 34mpg in the city and when I drove from Ottawa to Montreal at 140km/h I averaged about 50mpg. Best I've ever gotten out of it was driving around 100km/h with a steady FOOT not steady speed and it averaged 56mpg.

And its gas, so its cheaper to maintain, cheaper to buy and it doesnt sound terrible 6 months after you buy it.

I looked at the TDI but once I saw what others were getting for mileage with the Focus I said screw that, not when I can get the same mileage out of a gasoline engine without the head aches of a Diesel.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:30 PM

hmmm, that sounds good, what did you pay for it if you dont mind me asking. is it manual or auto. any interior description...sunroof nav ect.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

yea focus, im looking at one of those now, 2002 zts, about 30 mpg city if you baby it, i looked at jetta's too, they look nice but cross your fingers that they dont break, if they do.....your broke
Old 01-13-2011, 06:55 PM

more or less the same engine i'm guessing, but here you go for MPG http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publi...cle_2828.shtml
Old 01-13-2011, 07:57 PM

Engine: 4.0 I-6

My wife has a 06 Jetta TDI which she bought used with 36K in 09 and absolutely loves it, No issues, fun to drive, comfortable and gets a low of 38 mpg and a high of 44mpg.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:02 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by jfiedler
hmmm, that sounds good, what did you pay for it if you dont mind me asking. is it manual or auto. any interior description...sunroof nav ect.
Keep in mind I'm from Canada.. so you can probably cut the price in half but with Taxes(13%) delivery and everything else walking out the door I paid 23k

And thats with the 150k warranty.

Its automatic, heated seats, Sync, cruise control, etc

Heres a picture of it.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._2513467_n.jpg
Old 01-14-2011, 09:35 AM

dang! 49 mph highway!! thats awesome... this would be the third jetta in the family.. brothers '99 vr6, stepmothers '05 2.5, so the relationship with the local vw shope is great! And if you compare the repair costs, the difference is at most minimal. The focus is nice, actually my sister has one, an 09 i believe, which she got during cash for clunkers. she has base model with a few extras, and it cost her 19k. to get one comparable to the tdi its gonna cost about the same. what else would you guys look into as an "economy car". preferably 4 doors (for the baby) and decent gas mileage. no prius or crazy tiny cars lol
Old 01-14-2011, 09:42 AM
CF Veteran

dang! 49 mph highway!! thats awesome... this would be the third jetta in the family.. brothers '99 vr6, stepmothers '05 2.5, so the relationship with the local vw shope is great! And if you compare the repair costs, the difference is at most minimal. The focus is nice, actually my sister has one, an 09 i believe, which she got during cash for clunkers. she has base model with a few extras, and it cost her 19k. to get one comparable to the tdi its gonna cost about the same. what else would you guys look into as an "economy car". preferably 4 doors (for the baby) and decent gas mileage. no prius or crazy tiny cars lol
I really like the Mitsu Lancer. if I could trade my car for a decent amount I'd get a lancer AWD.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:54 AM

i was in love with the evo when i was about 16 or 17... i was saving every penny i had to get one! I would still like to get one, but with a prica tag of 30,000 + its out of the price range. i know you could get a non-evo for alot less but, i personally couldnt do it. its like getting a truck (or JeeP) without 4x4... just dosnt make sense lol
Old 01-14-2011, 01:24 PM
CF Veteran

i was in love with the evo when i was about 16 or 17... i was saving every penny i had to get one! I would still like to get one, but with a prica tag of 30,000 + its out of the price range. i know you could get a non-evo for alot less but, i personally couldnt do it. its like getting a truck (or JeeP) without 4x4... just dosnt make sense lol
True, the Evo is 43k starting here. And the Dollar is worth the same as your dollar so it doesnt make much sense.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:27 PM

Volkswagen has a reputation for breaking down easy because teenagers (and some adults) like to "beat" on their cars. If you baby a Volkswagen, then you'll be fine. A few relatives in my family have Volkswagens, (05 GTi, 00 Golf, 00 Beetle, and an 02 Jetta) and they all seem to treat them well. I personally love Volkswagen and I'd say go with the Jetta. The TDI is a good engine, and really haven't heard of any bad things about it. Also, check this out; it isn't a cherokee, but it is a jeep! http://www.hpamotorsports.com/tdijeep.htm
Old 01-14-2011, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by White93XJ
Volkswagen has a reputation for breaking down easy because teenagers (and some adults) like to "beat" on their cars. If you baby a Volkswagen, then you'll be fine. A few relatives in my family have Volkswagens, (05 GTi, 00 Golf, 00 Beetle, and an 02 Jetta) and they all seem to treat them well. I personally love Volkswagen and I'd say go with the Jetta. The TDI is a good engine, and really haven't heard of any bad things about it. Also, check this out; it isn't a cherokee, but it is a jeep! http://www.hpamotorsports.com/tdijeep.htm
That is really cool, its amazing what you can do with unlimited funds and every tool imaginable!!!

And the price for the evo in the states (maryland) is 34,000 up to 40,000. crazy expensive for a 4 door that will be used as a family/daily driver vehicle with 17/20 something mpgs... if i was single and no kids it would be in my driveway
Old 01-14-2011, 05:48 PM
CF Veteran

That is really cool, its amazing what you can do with unlimited funds and every tool imaginable!!!

And the price for the evo in the states (maryland) is 34,000 up to 40,000. crazy expensive for a 4 door that will be used as a family/daily driver vehicle with 17/20 something mpgs... if i was single and no kids it would be in my driveway
In all honesty, I'd get a Focus in your situation. I'm trying to get rid of mine and it looks like my Brother in law might take it as they just had their second kid, drive a lot and cant afford to be dropping cash in a car every 2 weeks for repairs.

Nothing like spending 9$ to drive 200km lol. would be almost half that you bastards... lol
Old 01-15-2011, 12:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

Golf TDI > Jetta TDI. DSG is a great trans, I prefer manual tho.
I really do like the way the current gen golf looks.
The TDI's are AMAZING, if I could afford a NEW vehicle. I would have one for sure.
The Mk4 TDI's do get better mileage typically, but then its not "new" heh.
tdiclub forums should give you lots of answers you want.
Also, the recommended oil change interval is a minimum of 10k and has 3yrs/36mo free maintenance.

Quick Reply: 2011 vw jetta tdi