Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

2002 cougar questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 06:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L 242ci I6
Default 2002 cougar questions

I'm looking to get any last generation cougar, but I found a nice 2002 not too far from my house. It's got the 2.5L v6 and a 5 speed tranny. Any things I should worry about if I do get the car? I know some people love them and others hate them. I personally like them since they're unique. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-18-2012, 09:38 PM
CF Veteran

anyone??
Old 09-19-2012, 07:26 PM
CF Veteran

helloooo?
Old 09-20-2012, 06:43 AM

Year: 1997 & 1998
Engine: 4.0

I haven't heard much pro or con on these. They were a nicely styled car, though they failed probably because they weren't true to the roots of what they were.

Parts are still available for them, but eventually will get harder to find like most "orphan" cars. If value is an issue to you, I don't see these becoming valuable in the future like the original ones became. You see few around. There's a repair shop here that has a nice 2000 for sale for $3000/obo and can't seem to generate interest in anyone buying it.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

I used to be a Ford Technician and I would say that if you are handy then it is a good purchase. I have never seen any major issues with them except the wiring can sometimes have issues. Most problems you will run into are going to be small and easy fixes like fuel pumps and related fuel components. They also because of the wiring getting corroded will sometimes reset computer which is minor annoyance like losing saved radio stations. I don't personally like the cars however my cousin had one that I maintained for her for about 6 years with no major complications. She wrecked it with about 200K on the odometer. I hope this helps. If you run into any problems don't be afraid to ask.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:55 PM
CF Veteran

I haven't seen anything major with the 2002 cougars. the previous years had a few recalls, but I couldn't find any for 2002. The one by me is selling for 3900. It has 111k on the odometer and it's in pretty good condition. I have to go take a look at it sometime soon. I like the styling and the uniqueness of them. There are some around me, but most of them are the base model with the 4 banger. None at all are modded, which should help me stand out after a few months How hard is it to change the plugs on them? I know with the v6 the back 3 cylinders might be a pain.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:09 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

Book says hour labor probably more like 15-20 mins. Just make sure you blow the garbage out of plug wells before removing plug.

SECTION 303-07B: Engine Ignition — 2.5L
2002 Cougar Workshop Manual
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
Procedure revision date: 07/25/2001
Spark Plug Wires

Special Tool(s)
Pliers, Connector, Spark Plug
303-622 (21-226)
Removal

Remove the engine cover.

Disconnect the variable intake system actuator electrical connector.

Remove the variable intake system actuator bolts.

Position the variable intake system actuator to one side.

Using the special tool, disconnect the six spark plug wires from the spark plugs.

Open the spark plug wire separators.

Remove the spark plug wires.

Remove Plugs. Gap is .052

Installation

To install, reverse the removal procedure.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:10 PM
CF Veteran

I guess it's not too bad then? I heard of some guys needing extensions and swivels to get back there, and even then it was hard.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 95
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by XJ.89.Limited
I guess it's not too bad then? I heard of some guys needing extensions and swivels to get back there, and even then it was hard.
Depending on what you have for tools, they are not too bad and fairly easy. The ford tech above posted basically what these cougars are about. I was a ford tech too from before and after the bastard cougar years. They wer junk cars compared to others but in all reality they were not too bad. I would have to say the three biggest items were fuel pumps, alternators and wiring. There were other things like vacuum leaks, egr passages and all the other chassis items though, but you have a 5spd so that helps too.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:20 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by jnicewan
Depending on what you have for tools, they are not too bad and fairly easy. The ford tech above posted basically what these cougars are about. I was a ford tech too from before and after the bastard cougar years. They wer junk cars compared to others but in all reality they were not too bad. I would have to say the three biggest items were fuel pumps, alternators and wiring. There were other things like vacuum leaks, egr passages and all the other chassis items though, but you have a 5spd so that helps too.
Yeah I heard about all of that. But considering that one guy got a new alternator for about $50 doesn't deter me that much, haha. I also saw recalls for things like that for the newer years of the generation, but I think they cleared it up mostly by 2002. I heard of one person that had 2 of them, one with 230k and one with 250k. My jeep right now stands at just over 236k, so that's pretty impressive for that little v6.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:40 PM

Wow, no idea how I missed this thread so far. I'm a PROUD owner of a 1999 Cougar and have been through my car multiple times from top to bottom. Feel free to message me with any questions you may have.

Alternators are the big weak point of the car. In Ford's infinite wisdom, they put an engine that revs to 7,000rpms all day in the car, then bolted an alternator to it that couldn't handle the high rpm's. Don't take it past 6k (maybe 6500) and you shouldn't put any wear on it. Replacing them is a bit of a PITA though. Go buy one of those nice $30 ratchets that have the extending/bending/twisting handle and use that for the rear bolt behind the engine. When you take the bolt out, turn it around the other way so it's easier to get to if you ever need to get back at it again.

The 2000+ V6's with the returnless style fuel system were subject to a recall with the fuel pump. Honestly, if it hasn't been addressed in the last 12 years by previous owners, then I doubt it is much of a problem.

Like I said, I love the heck out of mine, and if you ever need any help, shoot a message over my way.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:39 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by SonicCougar99
Wow, no idea how I missed this thread so far. I'm a PROUD owner of a 1999 Cougar and have been through my car multiple times from top to bottom. Feel free to message me with any questions you may have.

Alternators are the big weak point of the car. In Ford's infinite wisdom, they put an engine that revs to 7,000rpms all day in the car, then bolted an alternator to it that couldn't handle the high rpm's. Don't take it past 6k (maybe 6500) and you shouldn't put any wear on it. Replacing them is a bit of a PITA though. Go buy one of those nice $30 ratchets that have the extending/bending/twisting handle and use that for the rear bolt behind the engine. When you take the bolt out, turn it around the other way so it's easier to get to if you ever need to get back at it again.

The 2000+ V6's with the returnless style fuel system were subject to a recall with the fuel pump. Honestly, if it hasn't been addressed in the last 12 years by previous owners, then I doubt it is much of a problem.

Like I said, I love the heck out of mine, and if you ever need any help, shoot a message over my way.
Well, I might go look at it pretty soon so I'll have to check everything out on it. I'll definitely keep you in mind for any help. Any cheaper upgrades for the alternator? Cuz I'll probably end up doing some sort of sound system and upgrading the lights. Thanks!
Old 09-26-2012, 01:10 AM

To my knowledge, there's not really any sort of "upgraded" alternator available for these cars. Makes me spoiled when I look at the XJ aftermarket, then look at my aftermarket options for my Cougar.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:40 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by SonicCougar99
To my knowledge, there's not really any sort of "upgraded" alternator available for these cars. Makes me spoiled when I look at the XJ aftermarket, then look at my aftermarket options for my Cougar.
Yeah, I feel like there might have to be some custom work done with them. There are plenty of modded ones in the UK though.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:47 AM
CF Veteran

I found a real nice 2002 Cougar XR that I'm interested in, just have to get my dad to go with me. Any comments on it? Here's the link: http://www.autoshopper.com/used-cars...A-27046308.htm

Quick Reply: 2002 cougar questions