Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

1990 Wagoneer idles fine but cuts out driving

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1990 Wagoneer idles fine but cuts out driving

Hi all, this vehicle cuts out usually on accel but sometimes on cruise and when the problem happens and i floor it the motor seems to completely die / i let off the gas and it comes back to life USUALLY and i say that because this problem has no "rhyme" to it ie it happens most of the time but not every time unless i am just not paying close enough attention... i replaced a valve lifter and the owner said it "didnt do that [cutting out] before" [the most hated 4 word phrase ever!] so the motor has a new intake gasket but i doubt there are any vacuum leaks...the fkker has a new carb + tune from some recent previous repair - i myself am new to this vehicle and usually work on imports, i'll be checking O2 sensor / fuel pressure and vacuum under various speeds/loads and post my findings can anyone help? i saw some very similar problems posted on the web but no fixes. I DID lean the [new carb]carb/intake on it's SIDE while i had it off - this is the only clue i can offer

how do i scan this engine management system? i think this cutting out is a recognized pattern failure with these vehicles but not sure.

360 ci / auto / 4wd

i just got hired at this place and it would be nice to have this problem out of my freakin hair [what little i have! ]

thx alot in advance, TCR

Last edited by TheCarbideRat; 12-11-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 98 4.0 swap

i do not believe it has a scan point if its the amc carbureted 360 v8. check your vacuum lines and your fuel system from filter to accelerator pump in carb. then also check your battery connection. but most likely a fuel or vacuum problem. I'd start with accelerator pump. My 83 full size 2dr did that once in a while when I first got it.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:25 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

check the fuel pump it might be working but might not be putting out enough psi