Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

ZJ very rusted below, any thoughts? Also suspension issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 V8
Default ZJ very rusted below, any thoughts? Also suspension issue

I crawled on my 94 today to do some regular checking up etc. I noticed rust before, but never really looked into it. I live in Iowa for starts so im sure you know the cause of it.

In several places, it looks to have rusted through like on the two sides above the gas tank in a very small spot. I covered alot of this with bondo undercoating, with hopes it prevents more water and salt getting up there. My rockers are completely gone, I cut them out, and already know about the boxing for replacing those. I saw a few things where the break cable/line looks like its almost ready to fall apart.

My question is, its a 94, new transfer case, 160,XXX miles, new brakes, lots of new stuff, is it worth me replacing all the rusted out stuff beneath? The frame looks to just have surface rust and feels nice and solid, but its the smaller parts that worry me. I don't care how it looks underneath, but I want it to be structurally safe, and if these spots are already rusting, I can't be sure.

Also, ive been noticing but im not certain what the problem is. All of my shocks are completely rusted out. In about 2 weeks im putting a 2 inch spacer lift on it, with new shocks for the lift. The drivers rear side leans down 2 inches lower than every other side. All the tires are full, and I was parked on a flat surface. Any ideas what causing this?

Appreciate any help, its a work in progress but it dosen't look to bad so far with the roof fog lights and etc.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:37 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Check VERY CAREFULLY the control arm mounts at the body. My 97 was ridden hard and put away wet too many times and the rear lower control arm mounts broke out of the frame. After welding in some steel, the uppers didn't look so good and the fronts started to crack out. I'm in Syracuse. NY and they don't call it The Salt City for nothing. I had to put her out to pasture because it wouldn't pass inspection. The 4.0 and power train were perfect! I got $400 as a parts car.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by MrSchulz
Appreciate any help, its a work in progress but it dosen't look to bad so far with the roof fog lights and etc.
Wouldn't hurt to post up some pics, when dealing with a 19 year old vehicle, lots of times the rust wins.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 V8

As far as getting another ZJ, i wouldn't be to keen about that, just because of all the time and stuff I have already done to this one. Is there anything in particular besides the control arm mounts I should be paying attention to when it comes to rust?
Old 09-21-2013, 12:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

the whole underside, especially where any suspension components attach. also check around where the steering box bolts to the frame, you definitely dont want that area rusting out