Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

ZJ steering issues

Old 07-19-2011, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: oem
Unhappy ZJ steering issues

I recently snapped my center-link (drag-link) on my 99 ZJ Limited, so I figured time for a non OEM steering. Looked at IROR, Rusty's, and also on CSL off-road. Any ideas because I have heard alot of shady things about the Iron rock and Rustys steering . Come on guys make it worth my time in joining jeepcherokeeforum. I hate seeing my girl in the driveway getting covered in road dust rather than mud......thnx guys.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2L

What year is your Grand Cherokee? You have 99 listed, but say ZJ everywhere. ZJ's are 93-98, WJ's are 99-04.

I haven't heard any shady things about IRO's OTK kit. Generally speaking I'm an IRO basher, but that's one product I'd run. The only slight drawback I've noticed is some of the installations have the heim at the knuckle for the draglink are out of phase. I've seen a bunch of pictures of rigs after they've installed them, and some of them have the heims at an odd angle, leading to premature wear/squeaking.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:22 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: oem

98 my friend, its been a long day, I apologize. Ever since they recommended that I bend my drag-link upon lift installation Ive lost faith in IRO, because of that I missed the jamboree that comes through my area. What would you think the Hiems would be like after a PA winter is my only concern because it appears rock solid to me.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2L

I don't know what PA winters are like, I'm down here in the good ole South, so we don't have to deal with that phenomenon you call "winter"!

I talked to a fab shop up the road from me a bit about building me a setup that uses heims, and they recommended not lubing the joints. They claimed the wet lube would attract dirt/dust causing premature wear. The QA1 heims IRO uses come in either teflon-lined or non-teflon lined. I've never talked to IRO to see which one's they use, and what they recommend the maintenance schedule be.