Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

ZJ Engine noise, please HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default ZJ Engine noise, please HELP!

Hi there,
My '96 ZJ is developing quite a loud engine noise. It is more than just the normal diesel sounding lifter noise, it is more of a knock. Combining the two engine noises like a harmonized Boston guitar solo has created a real monster.

The video starts as a cold start, then compares the sound to when it is warmed up. After warming up the knock seems to subside a bit, but is still fairly loud.
1) Should I stop driving it? I don't want to cause more engine damage. I have another car I can drive.
2) What can I check to narrow down the trouble?

Your opinions / advice PLEASE. I am unemployed and money is tight. Really don't know what to do or what to check first. My mechanical abilities are average.

Edit: Mileage shown is in kilometers. 248,000km = 154,000 miles

Thanks!
Adam

Here's the vid:
http://s114.photobucket.com/albums/n...epknocking.flv
Old 02-16-2010, 10:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7L V8

I wish I could watch/listen to the video and offer some advice, but unfortunately I'm in Mich. on a lap-top that won't let me view the video. Sorry.
How's the oil pressure?
Has it started to smoke? If so, color of smoke?
You can use a mechanics stethoscope or a piece of broom handle with one end against your ear and the other on the cyl. head or block area to isolate the origin of the noise. Be sure and stay away from moving parts on the front of engine.
Noise from lower block area will indicate bearing or rod damage and which cyl. by moving the implement around.
Noise from the cyl. head could indicate valve-train damage and isolate it as indicated above.
The noise can be coming from a cracked flex-plate/flywheel also. There's threads on here that deal with that issue.
Sometimes a cracked exhaust manifold or leaking gasket can make a similar noise.
HTH
Dan
Old 02-16-2010, 11:18 AM

Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6

To me i cant hear any knocking at all. Which is a good thing sounds more like a problem under the valve cover. I have a 93 with about the same mileage and its knocking and its a lot deeper of a sound than that. I would try to find the tread that ol'blue was talking about, and remove the valve cover to see if you can see any issues.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:21 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

Thanks for the tips,
As an update I had an oil change done tonight and added some Lucas oil treatment. Not much of an improvement yet...

Thanks,
Adam