Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

XJ Guy needs Help on Reliabilty of a GC

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 05:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default XJ Guy needs Help on Reliabilty of a GC

My Girlfriends car Went out and we are under the Gun...She wants a SUV and a GC.

I found a 95 with a I-6 with 190K Clean body nice paint and Interior. Would there be any worries with the trans? I know the I-6/AW4 in the XJ is a Bullet proof combo. But i dont think the GC has a AW4.

I know everthing is only as reliable as it was maintained....Give me the run down...lol
Old 07-17-2010, 08:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 96 Limited ZJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 w/mods

The trans is the 42re. I have 210k on my 42re. As with all trannies, heat is your enemy! How much are they asking for the ZJ? What t-case does it have? Selec-trac or Quadra-trac?
Old 07-17-2010, 09:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

I have a 95 with the 4.0, I love it! I did have a few issues to sort out, like control arm bushings, rear track bar bushings, and a valve cover gasket. It still feels like it has plenty of power with 160k on the clock.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:41 AM
CF Veteran

There asking around 1500 it has a good inspection and a recent emissions....he said it runs awesome for the miles. which for the 4.0 doesnt surprise me.......
Old 07-18-2010, 07:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Sounds like a fair deal to me, I paid 2900 for mine.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1500 sounds about the same for a 95-98 in my area. The only real way to know if its fine is to check it out yourself.. Dont buy a car based on what someone says (Oh yea it runs great) Go to his house and test drive the car.. If you want to know if the transmission is working right thats the only way your going to know.

Test how the car drives from stop to start, how reverse is because usually when a transmission goes bad reverse is the first gear to go bad. My GC shifts from a stop to start at around 2500 RPM for the first gear, to 2k rpm for the 2nd gear and then 1800 for the 3rd gear if you were to drive normally at a stop sign or something.

If the transmission takes along time to shift from stop to start then something might be wrong or if it shifts roughly. I would also check the OBD codes to see if something is wrong that you cant see.

Check the car for rust, on the body and underneeth. Rust on the drive shaft and stearing elements is normal but if the body is rusting make sure its not something major that will cost you alot.

I would also listen to the engine when its turned on to see if its ticking and making any wierd noises.. Usually 4.0's have some kind of tick in them which is normal but if the ticking is really loud then it could have a bad bearing which is costly to fix. Make sure the oil pressure is good Any lower then 25 and i wouldnt buy it.

Im not a car expert by any means but these are the things i would look at.. Also as someone said what kind of transfer case does the car have ? Is it select trac or quadra.. Select trac means you have the option for 2wd and 4WD. Quadra the Jeep is locked in 4WD, and what iv read quadra trac Jeeps tend to need more repairs on the transfer case. Plus the option to change to 2WD gives better gas mileage when your driving in normal weather when you dont need 4WD.

190k Miles isnt that much for a 95 so i wouldnt base my decision on that. The engine could have another 100k in it, if you do buy it make sure you give it a full tune up replacing all the fluids, such as the oil,transmission, and differential fluids, spark plugs, rotar and cap ect. I would also Seafoam the engine before you change all this to clean out all the gunk cause who knows the owner prior might not have changed any of that stuff in along time.

Also when you drive the car go to a parking lot and turn the wheel all the way to the right and drive in a circle if it makes Poping noises dont buy it, do that with left also.

Last edited by candymancan; 07-18-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:50 PM
CF Veteran

I ended up finding a 99 WJ with 190K it is in AWESOME condition.

Power everything with a sunroof....Was serviced Regulary...amd the trans fluid is Bright Red.

Since i bought it i noticed the Elec fans were not coming on and it was running Warm...so i replaced the Fan Relay/Controler.

Also have replaced both rear rotors and the Right side Caliper...This thing is in awesome Condition so im not worried about putting $$ into it.