Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Wj Lift Requirements?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 11:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Wj Lift Requirements?

Yes hello all in the GC Tech internet land, I've been thinking about selling my Built Xj and buying a Wj then using the left over money to build up that said Wj. Was just wondering if I left anything out when it came to my parts list to lift the Wj. So figured I would ask those that have more knowledge in the Wj field.

Here is my parts list so far,.. if I decide to go through with this. Let me know if you think this is a good start, or if I should add some stuff that I may have forgotten or didn't know about. Thanks.

Clayton 6" Bare Bones Long Arm Kit from Kevins Offroad.

Clayton 6" Front & Rear Coil Springs 200# spring rate front, 240# spring rate rear. Or Ironrock Offroad 6.5" Front & Rear Coil Springs 200# spring rate front & rear.

Ironrock Offroad Adjustable (3"-7") Tracbar

Ironrock Offroad Wj Steering Equalizer

Ironrock Offroad Front & Rear Coil Spring Retainers

Ironrock Offroad Front & Rear Custom Bump Stops

Ironrock Offroad Extended Rear Sway Bar Links

Rustys Front Adjustable Forged Sway Bar Disconnects

Kevins Offroad KOR-Belly Skid Plate for Claytons Long Arm Kit

Bilstein 5100's on all 4 Corners

Tom Woods 242HD SYE W/ New Shafts

New 16x8 wheels with 3.75"- 4" Backspace W/ 35x12.50 Tires

If I forgotten anything please let me know.

Thanks.

And if I have anymore money left over Ironrock Offroad Dana30 Cromoly 27 spline shaft upgrade kit.

Last edited by aquickmopar; 09-26-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:10 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

The only thing that comes to mind right away is longer brake hoses.

And good solid front and rear recovery points.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:31 AM
CF Veteran

Don't need to extend the Brake lines, they are already extremely long from stock. Atleast that's what I've read from otheres on the internet.

For recovery points it will have a rear hitch, and I'll get the Winch plate & D rings that Rough Country sells for the front. I already have a Smittybilt 10,000lb H2o winch that I will be keeping that's on my Xj if I were to sell it and start this project.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2003
Engine: 4.0 CAI, programmed, flowmaster
Default Other necessities

Think gearing should be mandatory.I have 4:56, going to 35s from my 33s. What axle is in the rear? If it is a d35 treat it like a hand grenade. Need SYE.

I am doing 6" clayton long arm, with arb air locker, and a d60. Going in by mid October, I have a trussed and gusseted RCV ulitmate d30 in front, with an air locker. Works great.

Wheeling on 35s you are going to have to be serious with the hammer. Windshield bottle, charcoal evap canister relocation in your future as well.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:15 AM

Default Aquickmopar

Did not realize it was you Tony till after I posted my reply. we met at Red Cloud a couple of months ago, I had the silver and black lifted WJ with fender flares. I am having my 6" Clayton, d60 rear put in by ORI up in Winchester in the next couple of weeks.

Your XJ was certainly capable if someone is looking for a serious offroad xj.

I will most likely be getting rid of all my BDS gear, jks disconnects, d35 with 4:56, and welded tubes afterwards for best offer. the d35 has less than 2000 on the Yukon rings and pinion.

Let me know if you have any interest or if you want any more info on what is needed to fit the 35s. Dan
Old 09-26-2013, 09:29 AM
CF Veteran

Hey ya I remember ya Dan, Had lots of fun that day at RedCloud. Thanks for the info. If I have anymore questions I'll definitely hit you up. Thanks.

I'll actually probably start out with 33's until I build up the axles a little more before going up to 35's. But 35's are were I want to be at in the end if I do get a Wj.

Last edited by aquickmopar; 09-26-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:51 AM
CF Veteran

I'd like to meet back up with ya some time to get a look at your Wj. I never really got a chance to look at it while I was at RedCloud that day. Jim the Owner made me a Trail Leader there and gave me a dash cam to keep in my Xj. I need to get back up there again, I haven't been back since that day, i've been so damn busy lately. I used my Winch ALOT that day pulling everybody else out from getting stuck. But not once did I need to use my winch on myself. Lol. I caked walked that whole place that day.

I'm kinda back and forth about getting rid of my Xj and building up a Wj. Part of me really wants a Wj and part of me says NO, and just wants me to keep building my Xj to be even better. So I don't know what i'm gonna do. Lol

Last edited by aquickmopar; 09-26-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:56 PM

Default jeep wj

hey, sure, love to show mine off. came back from rausch creek last week with it and i had a blast.
I am pretty happy with the way it ran on the 33s, it was just that d35 that scared me. honestly I don't plan on beating my wj up too bad, the d60 is most likely gonna be overkill but I was doing the clayton anyway, so......
talking about the 33s, my procomp all terrains have less than 2000 on them. I did chew one up pretty good on my front KOR bumper, other 3 great and surplus soon.
I was pretty amused watching your xj walk through that snot they call mud at red cloud, there were some seriously outfitted jks stuck everywhere.
I get back from Ca. on the 5th, you can see the wj then or after the clayton goes on.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:34 PM
CF Veteran

Sounds good, will have to meet up sometime then when you get back.

Lol ya that one JK that was on 40's followed me through a mud hole on a trail to get to the "Big Hole" and got stuck. I walked right through it no problem and he barriers his JK. Took like 5-6 hours to get him pulled out.

I need to make the trip up to Raush Creek sometime, I haven't had a chance to make it there yet and have really been wanting to go.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:43 AM

Default WJ lift requirements

Tony, Rausch was great, I did most of my wheeling decades ago. Never like looking stupid, took the 201 course with Kyle up there and had a blast. I will be going back soon as new lift and locked d60 are on. the trails are awesome, rocks everywhere.
My wj did real well up there it was challenging and fun. I would be up for a trip any Sunday!
Want to check out the Ivy City trails in West Virginia this fall too, out by Charlestown.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:38 PM
CF Veteran

When ever I can get get a chance to go I'll definitely hit you up to see if your available. My next wheeling trip will most likely be the 3rd Annual Bounce The Boobies Run come Nov. 9th 2013. Need to order some new bushings for my lower control arms, And also need to order Ironman4x4fabs adjustable uppers, And order my new RE Springs for the front of my xj. I got some "new to me" 6.5" rear leafs for my Xj from a buddy of mine. He ordered new leafs for his Xj, so I got his old leafs that just need new bushings installed in them which I already have for them.

You should check out the thread for the 3rd Annual Bounce The Boobies Run. I posted it here on CherokeeForum but you can also find it over on VirginiaKrawlers.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:38 PM

Hey, checked that thread, too bad it is a Saturday. I do not get many of those free. thanks