Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

WJ Interior Light Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default WJ Interior Light Problem

OK, so I have a problem I can't seem to fix. Got in the 01 GC the other day and when I cranked it up the interior lights came on and wouldn't turn off unless I rolled the switch all the way back. This made the dash lights so dim they are almost impossible to see.

I searched here and saw some similar issues and figured it was a wire in the door boot issue like others described. Sure enough I found an orange-ish 12 ga. wire that pulled right apart when I tugged on it. Rather than deal with other wiring issues down the road, I went ahead and ran new wire for everything, splicing it in with the existing wire at the connector. I saw someone else did this to avoid problems down the road.

Well, obviously that didn't work. I got a new headlight/turn signal/dimmer switch and tried it, but when I hook it up the "bell" dings like it does when the door is open and the key is in the switch after you turn it off. Oh, and the interior lights still do the same thing with the new switch.

I am at a loss. I did find a ground snapped in half in the passenger door boot, which when repaired it fixed the door lock/power windows not working on the passenger side, but the interior light thing is really aggravating me.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:26 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Are you getting a "door open" message on your EVIC? The only thing I have that might help is the lighting switches are in the latches themselves, not the old door jamb switches. I had a problem with one of my rear hatch latches not latching which caused the interior lights to flash on while driving and hitting bumps, with a chime included. Not good at all at night. I removed the switch and tied it down until I got a latch. My driver's door switch sticks sometimes so it's dark inside until you fire it up. Then the lights come on.

BTW, I have the backlighted gauges and 2 of the bulbs burnt out. I replaced them with LED bulbs and they are nice and bright, even not going out when dimmed all the way. I was shocked at how easy it was to remove the instrument cluster. One pop-off panel and 4 phillips screws. There are 5 PC74 bulbs for illumination. I bought mine from superbrightleds.com. I bought green, thinking they'd look nice, but my red needles didn't light up. Stick with warm white.

Last edited by dave1123; 11-09-2014 at 06:36 PM.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

I got it working. Not 100% sure how, but it is now. I read somewhere else something about taking the cables from the battery and resetting everything. After that it worked.

Thanks for the heads up and to whoever the guy was that posted the complete cable replacement in one of the posts I read about this - THANK YOU! Big help working on this today!