Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

wj AHHHH

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default wj AHHHH

I picked up an 01 wj for a good price. It has the 4.0 in it and ran great, until I hit a pretty deep puddle on the road. Now it dies after a mile or two of driving. No warning light or any other signs. It just dies. If I let it sit for a bit it will start back up and go another few miles. Ive replaced the crank sensor and pcm and am still havinng the issue. Any help would be great. thanks.

Last edited by AutomaticKrackr; 11-21-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:44 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Did you check the air filter? If it got wet, it will restrict air. These jeeps are pretty well protected from low speed immersion, but not from high speed splash. You might want to check any outside air pressure or vacuum source for water. I'm thinking like idle air bleed.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:12 PM

I went over all the basics,vacume lines electrical connections, grounds.Still no change. This things got me baffled.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:18 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Was the road wet, raining? if the road was dry, you may have heat shocked and cracked the 02 sensor. I would assume that would set a code, though maybe not.

Sorry, still thinking. Can you smell the smoke?
Old 11-24-2012, 07:42 PM

Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: V6 4.0 LITER

don't know if this helps or not, but here's some possible tips. a few years ago, my sister hit a deep puddle at about 35 mph in her camaro. she started having similar problems. after numerous garage visits, it finally turned out to have somrthing to do with her ABS system. also, you did not mention if you hit the puddle at a high speed ( for a deep puddle, anything over 10 miles per hour ) or crawled through it. it definitely sounds like an electrical short issue. the water could have made contact in a bare spot somewhere in the harness or on your tranny speed sensor. my thinking is , if you had a short due to contact with the water, it could have messed up one of your sensors. you don't always get a MIL or check engine code for some of them. could the water have messed with your fuel system? another thing, check your PDC ( power distribution center ) and make sure all the fuses and relays didn't get fried or just burn up the ends of one of them. make sure your grouding points on the vehicle didn't become corroded or rusted from the water. bad ground can mess with your PCM / ECM from bad signals / misfires with your sensors. some of this may seem extreme, but i have come to accept that with a jeep, look for the unexpected. your stalling sounds alot like an IAC ( idle air control valve ) stalling symptoms. is your idle rough? are you burning more fuel than normal? do you have low rpms while idling? does the engine hesitate? is there black smoke exhaust? how's the tranny performing? is the motor missing or misfiring? do you smell a strong exhaust smell or a burning smell when the motor stalls? after it stalls, does the motor crank the first time, or does it stall a couple more times before it stays running? these things help you pinpoint what to look at. it is also very possible that the water might have done nothing at all to the vehicle. it could just be needing a part replaced. specifically, a sensor or relay. most of the people who have ever posted on these forums will tell you that the vehicle ran great when they first got their jeep. in a short time, you start replacing parts due to a lack of experience with jeeps. also, some codes are not specific enough as to your problem. multiple codes for some parts that have nothing to do with the problem. specifically the MAP sensor for example. have you checked your fuel pressure? think outside the box. i had a IAC valve go bad on my jeep a while back. i had all kinds of problems. couldn't figure out what sensor was acting up and making my vehicle stall. it had symptoms of 4 or 5 different sensors and some of them are not even on my vehicle. i checked with multimeter and everything checked out okay. but, everything wasn't okay. electrical system was good. fuel system and delivery was good. motor and tranny was good. stalling drove me into Jeep - induced road rage on many occasions. finally, after about 2 months, the culprit revealed itself completely. then i had to call a tow truck. just saying to check things you might be taking for granted as okay. good luck. a former brick wall head basher.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:42 AM
Old fart with a wrench

I guess I've got to bring my mind into today's systems. The IAC valve does the same function as the idle air bleed did on carbrerators. The main difference is the idle air bleed was a permanently set jet whereas the IAC is computer compensated.

Definately, check out the IAC.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:10 PM

I will look into the iac tomorrow. Thanks for the replies. Ill keep you posted om my progress.