Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

will a 4.7 out of 99 dodge fit in my 01 GC?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default will a 4.7 out of 99 dodge fit in my 01 GC?

I bought a 4.7 for $75. Will take it in to have it totally rebuilt next week as soon as I know it will replace the 4.7 in my jeep now.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:05 PM

After checking, it must be out of a 2000 dodge, didnt have a 4.7 in 99 after cross ref. It
Old 10-08-2014, 03:08 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

That's funny, I just checked myself and the dodge 4.7 from 1999 to 2002 is direct swap with jeep. It was after that they started making changes.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:57 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 H.O.

Originally Posted by dave1123
That's funny, I just checked myself and the dodge 4.7 from 1999 to 2002 is direct swap with jeep. It was after that they started making changes.
The 4.7 is a P.O.S. junk throw away Mercedes motor that they crammed down Jeeps throat when Jeep was still owned bye Mercedes.

Even the Jeep dealership told me the same thing when i was looking for a 4.7 for my 2000 Grand Cherokee i acquired for free since the lady that owned it threw 2 connecting rods threw the side of the block.

The major problem with them is they are a dual overhead cam motor with a bicycle chain that controls each cam on each head. Instead of using a normal chain tensioner, they used ones that keep tension on the chains bye oil pressure. If your oil is old and broken down or low, you loose tension on the chains, and they will slip, and since this is a zero tolerance motor, if one cam gets more than 1 tooth off, you end up eating a valve or even bigger issues.

Jeep told me straight out these motors are not even worth re-building. Not trying to rain your parade, but i don't want to see you throwing you money away on a motor that should be used as a boat anchor.

The only reason i still own the 2000 G.C. is my father wanted it after i installed the new motor in it, so i gave it to him to drive, now that he has passed away i have already sold it.

And on top of that, the 4.7 was bye the farthest HARDEST motors i have ever swapped out in the G.C. everything is crammed in there, half of the bolt's for the tranny and exhaust you need to take out you need to do bye brail since you cant even see them. After Jeep found out i swapped out the motor myself, they offered me a job at there dealership, the service guy says the mechanics run for the hills when ever a 4.7 Cherokee comes in
Old 10-14-2014, 07:19 PM

Thanks Dave for your input on the 4.7 engine rebuild. I have a 4.7 in my 01 GC, and it have 180,000 on it. It burns no oil, runs like a fine tuned machine. I will use it up and drop another one in. As far as the boys at the dealerships, I have had a few memories with them tech college guys with fancy tools( I have owned jeeps for years, dealerships have issues with everything, then they can charge ya more) I have the block ready to be checked and rebuilt. I will take advice on the scrawny trimming chain issue and see if it can be upgraded somehow.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:40 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 H.O.

Originally Posted by hopper116
Thanks Dave for your input on the 4.7 engine rebuild. I have a 4.7 in my 01 GC, and it have 180,000 on it. It burns no oil, runs like a fine tuned machine. I will use it up and drop another one in. As far as the boys at the dealerships, I have had a few memories with them tech college guys with fancy tools( I have owned jeeps for years, dealerships have issues with everything, then they can charge ya more) I have the block ready to be checked and rebuilt. I will take advice on the scrawny trimming chain issue and see if it can be upgraded somehow.
I hear ya about checking into a stronger timing chain set, but it is not so much the chain that is the issues as it is the tensioner that uses oil pressure to keep the chain tight. I have my computer in the Jeep set to tell me at 3000 miles to change the oil, and when it flashes up that it is due for service, i am running for the auto parts store to by fresh oil and filter.

I also hear ya about the TECH COLLEGE guys. I also had my run in with them on this motor. When i dropped the new motor in, it would run for about 2 minutes until the cold idle would kick out, then the motor would die and not start again until it was cold again. I took it to all my mechanic friends shops in town and they all were pulling there hair out trying to figure out what was wrong with the motor. I figured for sure it was something i did wrong installing the new re-built back into the Jeep. So i finally took it to the Jeep dealer ship in Reno and it even took them a couple of days to figure out that the machine shop that re-built the motor installed the passenger side head chain off bye 1 tooth. Of-course the dealer ship kids swore up and down since it was a zero tolerance motor it was ruined. I asked them how they could say that since the motor ran just fine until it warmed up for a couple of minutes and then died. Of course they wanted 2000 grand to tear the front end of the motor back down to re-install the timing chain back on correct. So i told them to pound sand, took it back home and tore it back down my self and re-aligned the chain back on correct, and it has ran great ever since.

When you go to remove the chain tensioners, squeeze them all the way back in with your hand before you remove them from the block and you will see a little tiny hole in the side of the tensioner to stick a paper clip into to hold it from coming back out, if you don't, they will explode there guts all over you shop floor

Good luck with the motor swap, you will learn real fast to do stuff bye brail with how crammed in the 4.7 is in the G.C.

Rick

Last edited by maddogs1965; 10-14-2014 at 08:44 PM.