Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

What might it be worth & whats wrong with it? 94 Grand Cherokee (long read, new guy)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default What might it be worth & whats wrong with it? 94 Grand Cherokee (long read, new guy)

Hi, brand new to this forum, suv's, and jeeps... So please be understanding if i dont have a clue whats going on...

Little about myself. I am a 19 year old gearhead/backyard mechanic/professional ASE undercar tech/Nursing student/Army Reserves Medic... One busy guy. I do engine/transmission swaps occasionally, I do suspension, exhaust, brakes, tires, and oil daily, and I've painted once or twice... I'm currently into Neons (first gen if anyone cares)...

Anyways, A 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee might be falling into my lap, but the owner doesnt want to put a price on it. I saw it next to his house after helping his sister with her mazda 3, and asked her about it...

What I see is that the Body's in good shape. Trucks been sitting almost 3 years, locked w/windows up, tires on ground... Tires are 1/2 tread. Engine is a 5.2 V8, auto, full time 4wd, and leather seats... Tinted windows, couldnt see ODO...

This is all that I've been told, Apparently it runs ok, and it has a rebuilt front differential... The rear differential was making noise also, so it was rebuilt, and now the noise is worse. He drove it 10k miles like that, and then parked it. Apparently it still runs and drives, but makes a bad whining noise from the rear end. He thought maybe it was shimmed too tight or something...

He's looking to get rid of it, and, I'd buy it for under $500 if possible. Does that sound like a reasonable price?
How would I identify whats up with the rear end? I know jeeps have a distinctive drivetrain noise, but apparently it's very bad and sounds "horrible when driving"

Also, how would I know what rear end it is? I looked on car-part.com, theres 10 different listings. All of them are around $200 or so, and within driving distance. Is there a better source for a rear end?

Heres some jeep questions...
What kind of fuel mileage would be reasonable in town? 15 or less? Would there be any way to disable the 4WD during summer to make it better on fuel without damageing the transfer case?
Are parts expensive? I can get my neon brake pads for $10, clutches for $100, bla bla bla... Is it cheap to work on and maintain, and will it require my attention frequently?

And finally, what should I look for as far as impending doom in the truck?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read through this... Any and all help is appreciated
~Nate
Old 08-19-2009, 08:13 PM

Few more stupid questions...

Are there any particularly valuable parts on it? Only incase I decide to part it out (and hassle with finding ANOTHER winterbeater...)

Cheap snow tires/rims? Steelies off some other vehicle work or can it go through most anything even on tires with only around 5/32 left?

Thanks alot
~Nate
Old 08-20-2009, 07:39 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: v8 5.9L
Default buy it

if you as a mechanic see the truck in good shape buy it and swap a rear dif for a used in better shape (a dana 44 is a great one) the gas mileage is not going to change alot if you disable the 4x4 you have to get rid of a lot of things but if its a 4x4 keep it and have fun with it. they are great vehicles and will give tons of smiles, and are great long term proyects
Old 08-20-2009, 07:43 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Cool

Dude.............................Sometimes you have to say WTF and just go for it. It's a jeep , that's all that matters. Otherwise you will just talk yourself into another little stupid neon
Old 08-20-2009, 07:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7L V8

Buy it, fix it, and drive it. You'll enjoy it.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:56 PM
CF Veteran

Since it has the V8, its has the D44a rear axle (if there were no modifications). For $500, Id go for it... You could part it out and come ahead if you wanted to...
Old 08-20-2009, 09:47 PM

I wont bite on the stupid little neon comment on a jeep forum, but they're good cars for someone like myself...

Need to put the engine and transmission back into my other neon before I can buy this jeep... Chances are, its not going anywhere...

Wheres a cheap place to get a D44 (I searched car-part.com)
Is it more likely to be a disk or drum rear end, or does that not effect anything? It asks about gear ratios and stuff, how would I know till I drive it

What is valuable, if i were to be parting it out?

If I decide to keep it, Is 15mpg in town unreasonable to expect?

What kind of impending doom items are there on a jeep? Neons have interference engines, and t-belts that kill as early as 60k miles... That kinda info is what Im asking for...

~Nate
Old 08-20-2009, 10:18 PM
CF Veteran

I'm fairly new to Jeeps myself, but my '97 has the 5.2L (318) w/ over 180,000 miles on it and it's still running great. I've only had to replace the water pump, and have the rear end rebuilt. I love it. 15 MPG in the city isn't hard if you keep your foot off the floor.
That '94 probably has drum rear brakes. Brakes and rotors for mine weren't too bad.
The t-case on older Jeeps sometimes cause problems. Check fluid level and condition.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:08 PM

Is a bad rear differential a decent diagnosis for "squeeling from rear of truck"?
It allegedly was rebuilt and had the same problem... Mabey it would be the transfer case? How would I know for sure, given the oppertunity to drive the truck?

~Nate
Old 08-20-2009, 11:13 PM
CF Veteran

Mine was diagnosed at a shop on the lift, with one guy in the truck and one guy below with a mechanics stethoscope.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 litre

accuautoparts.com has pretty good parts full axles, axle parts everything. Deff get it you'll love it. Beat it up drive it hard and it won't let you down
Old 08-20-2009, 11:36 PM
Resident Pirate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

if you can get it for 500 then go for it! i am a ford turned chevy turned jeep guy and i wouldnt get rid of my 96 zj (grand cherokee) for anything right now.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:07 AM

Given that I'm not making much cash right now... And it needs help before being drivable... and it's been sitting for 3 years with him pissed off about it... and that he has another vehicle... and that It qualifies for an abandoned vehicle... and so on...
I'd offer $300 cash, and a very nice wash/wax/detailing of whatever he drives now (provided it's not a 500 passenger van or something)... Mabey more? I can wheel and deal with the best of them, given my age, and that I did his $ister a huge favor...

Or is that an insulting price to speak of, even though he wont put a price on it...

~Nate
Old 08-21-2009, 08:54 AM
CF Veteran

What have you got to lose? I doubt he'll bite, but it'll get him talking at least. Who knows, you might get lucky.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:08 PM

Took another very quick look at it today... Factory installed fog lights, ones missing a lens. Overhead console, tinted windows, and tires that are wearing the inside edge and feathering... Suspect ball joints, unsure of other conditions. Tires are very dryrotted otherwise...

Needs:
New fluids ($100)
Battery ($80)
Tires ($500)
Rear end ($200)
Ft End parts? Whats a common wear item on jeeps?

Kbb fair condition is 1200...
Hmm...

~Nate

Quick Reply: What might it be worth & whats wrong with it? 94 Grand Cherokee (long read, new guy)