Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

What gear Ratio and Lockers

Old 02-15-2010, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default What gear Ratio and Lockers

So i put 31's on my pretty much stock jeep and trying to figure out what gear ratio would be the best gear if i plan on later going with 33's. I am leaning towards 4:10's. Now this is still my daily driver. I am also wanting to put some lockers in the front and rear while im in there. I want some comments on putting Lock Rights in the front diff. If its a bad idea or will it be fine, with a little noise. Just throwing this out there so any advice would help.

Plan on buying the gears sometime this week. Wheres the best prices at?
Old 02-15-2010, 10:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6 HO

the stock gears, atleast in the limited, is 3.73 which is a great gear ratio. you shouldnt be having an problems with that. i have 33s on mine now with a d35 and the only things i broke are the CV axle shafts and the CV front driveshaft but i dont daily drive mine. as for lockers, i think the lockrite kit is a full locker all the time which will do some damage to your jeep. you would need something like a detroit truetrac, or an auburn gear lockers or an adjustable locker like OX or ARB.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:31 AM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by boardmanXJ
the stock gears, atleast in the limited, is 3.73 which is a great gear ratio. you shouldnt be having an problems with that. i have 33s on mine now with a d35 and the only things i broke are the CV axle shafts and the CV front driveshaft but i dont daily drive mine. as for lockers, i think the lockrite kit is a full locker all the time which will do some damage to your jeep. you would need something like a detroit truetrac, or an auburn gear lockers or an adjustable locker like OX or ARB.
Yea my GC is a Laredo so i think its lower than a 3.73 like 3.55 or lower because its real doggy and takes alot of pedal to get it moving.

This is the review that i found on the Lockers:
These locker are automatic locking differentials designed to lock both wheels of the axle automatically with power input, when forward or reverse torque is applied, so that both wheels are providing 100% power to the wheels and creating essentially a "spool" that solidly connects the axle shafts together. When torque is not being applied, the locker is allowed to unlock, permitting a differentiation variance in wheel speed while negotiating turns.

Now i know its going to be a little noisy but i dont mind that. I just need to know if i can install them in the front axle with out having to much steering problems on the road?