Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Wanting to Lift my 99 Laredo....got some ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Wanting to Lift my 99 Laredo....got some ?'s

Hey everyone, im new to the Jeep world. I recently bought a 99 Grand Cherokee Laredo, and already i really want it bigger! I was wondering what you guys recommend for a lift and tires/wheels. Id like to lift it maybe 3" and put some 30-31's under it....Ive heard different things about Jeeps and whats needed to lift them...Id like a kit that either came with everything, or didnt need any extra work. Also, would 15's work on the Jeep, or should i just use the stock wheels and get new tires? Any recommendations on those?
Thanks alot, hopefully i can get some good info from you guys and start to learn on my own about these things!
Old 11-11-2008, 06:42 PM

Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 V8

Dont know too much about them. but here is a thread that talks about the 15in rims on yours. More guys will chime in soon with more info

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f5/15-rims-wj-5052/
Old 11-11-2008, 07:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

15's we have one member with them, but took mods, I'd say stick with stock wheels or find a nice set from a JK. As for lifts, the most complete kit I know of for that '99 Grand is the Rusty's kit.... http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchan...y_Code=wj_kits
Old 11-11-2008, 08:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2003
Engine: 4.0L, 63mm TB, FIPK, Gibson Exhaust

Depends on what you want to do with it? If you are going to offroad it and want to air down, 31s on 15s are the best setup. Took a little grinding on the outside edge of the calipers on the front, nothing major or structural. Get a 3" IRO lift, it is complete and a good setup. Go without any shocks and get a set of MX6s for it, Kolak@aol.com can get you great deals on MX6s. An addco rear sway bar is almost a must if you lift it to keep it cornering good on the road. Shoot me a PM if you want more info.

I love my setup.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:56 PM

Year: 1997

my stocks are 15".... but i have a 97
Old 11-12-2008, 06:14 PM

Engine: 4.7L V8

15" rims fit on a WJ with some caliper mods ( ie:Grinder) but if you want a wheel that'll fit without messing with anything, go for a 16". Either way you go, there are plenty of tire options.

As for a lift, I've got a BDS 4" lift (and a 0.75" spacer) and 32" Pro Comp Muds. This is a very complete kit, and I have absolutely no complaints with it. If you want to go 5 or more inches up, I'd definitely recommend a long arm kit. Under 5" is OK with short arms though, depending on how serious of a rig you plan on building.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:16 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by WJCraig
15" rims fit on a WJ with some caliper mods ( ie:Grinder) but if you want a wheel that'll fit without messing with anything, go for a 16". Either way you go, there are plenty of tire options.

As for a lift, I've got a BDS 4" lift (and a 0.75" spacer) and 32" Pro Comp Muds. This is a very complete kit, and I have absolutely no complaints with it. If you want to go 5 or more inches up, I'd definitely recommend a long arm kit. Under 5" is OK with short arms though, depending on how serious of a rig you plan on building.
As far as mods, minor grinding may be needed, some have to others do not, i think it depends on how good of a job the factory did at cleaning off teh casting marks. Also I think a 15 x 7 with 4" BS will fit no issues, I ran a 15 x 8 with 4 in of BS. Some have had to grind (me) and some have not had to grind.

15 inch tires are generally cheaper and if he only wants to go to a 31" tire then he should try to get a 15in rim if he plans on airing down and wheeling it. General rule of thumb for airing down and wheeling is to keep teh rim diameter at least 1/2 the wheel diameter. so 15in rim on a 31 in tire, 16in rim is fine for 32in tires, etc.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:38 PM

Engine: 4.7L V8

I find there are less options all the time for smaller wheels as far as tires are concerned. A few years ago there were a lot more in the 15" range then there is today. That might just be my local scene, but it seems to me that 15" wheels/tires are slowly becoming a thing of the past, and 16" and bigger is what most people are running these days. That's not to say there is a lack of choices out there for a 15" tire, because you can still get tons of tires in that size, and in just about any tread pattern, but 16" combos seem to be the norm these days (and in many cases bigger). Like I said, maybe that is only true of where I live, but it seems to be the case from my observation. I've had no problems airing down with my 17's when I hit the trails, but more sidewall is always better, of coarse!

That being said, tsconver's wheel/tire combo looks great on his rig! Me likes the look of it!
Old 11-13-2008, 06:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by WJCraig
I find there are less options all the time for smaller wheels as far as tires are concerned. A few years ago there were a lot more in the 15" range then there is today. That might just be my local scene, but it seems to me that 15" wheels/tires are slowly becoming a thing of the past, and 16" and bigger is what most people are running these days. That's not to say there is a lack of choices out there for a 15" tire, because you can still get tons of tires in that size, and in just about any tread pattern, but 16" combos seem to be the norm these days (and in many cases bigger). Like I said, maybe that is only true of where I live, but it seems to be the case from my observation. I've had no problems airing down with my 17's when I hit the trails, but more sidewall is always better, of coarse!

That being said, tsconver's wheel/tire combo looks great on his rig! Me likes the look of it!
thanks, that is my offroad setup, those are retreads btw. I like the look but I do not like the mileage and noise. I run silent armors on 17inch rims on for DD.