Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

violent shakes. death wobbles?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L V8
Default violent shakes. death wobbles?

When driving my 97 Grajd Cherokee I'll get random violent shaking, feels like side to side.

It happens at random speeds from 15-85 and usually when I hit a bump of some sorts. Braking till it stops is the only way it goes away.

Is this common?
Old 09-10-2013, 02:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Do a search on death wobble and you will find HUNDREDS of threads dedicated to the subject. Yes, it's common.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bustedback
Do a search on death wobble and you will find HUNDREDS of threads dedicated to the subject. Yes, it's common.
I was more asking if this is what death wobbles are as its bone stock. Wasn't sure if it only happened after a lift.

Now that I know it's death wobbles I'll Google away.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:43 PM
CF Veteran

It can happen to lifted and stock Jeeps with coil spring suspensions up front. It's usually caused by worn parts on a stock suspension and bad geometry on lifted suspensions. A worn track bar is the biggest culprit. IT'S NOT THE STEERING STABILIZER. And yes, you do have a death wobble issue if it scared the crap out of you.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:07 PM

It can happen to lifted and stock Jeeps with coil spring suspensions up front. It's usually caused by worn parts on a stock suspension and bad geometry on lifted suspensions. A worn track bar is the biggest culprit. IT'S NOT THE STEERING STABILIZER. And yes, you do have a death wobble issue if it scared the crap out of you.
After lurking on this forum I was prepared for death wobbles. I was waiting for them to be honest. The suspension is original to the Jeep (97) so I'm going to replace the Coil Springs front and rear, shocks, and anything else needed along with the addition of 2" spacers.

Is it possible to replace the coil spring mounts or are these welded to the uni?
Old 09-10-2013, 06:58 PM
CF Veteran

Welded. Lifting the vehicle without fixing the problem will make it much, much worse.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:09 PM

Welded. Lifting the vehicle without fixing the problem will make it much, much worse.
I don't plan to lift it till I hunt down the problem, no worries. Too tired right now, but tomorrow morning I'm gonna go root around underneath her and see what it looks like.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 5.9 V8

A worn track bar is the biggest culprit.
x2 Almost always the trackbar.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by Paco182
x2 Almost always the trackbar.
I'm trying to find a picture of a good trackbar. Mine doesn't quite look right. On the driver side of the bar it looks to be covered in grease and is cocked 45 degrees down compared to what it's mounted to.

I don't know how to describe it better but it sure as hell doesn't look right. I tried taking some pictures but it was too dark to get a good one.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:52 AM
Seasoned Member

Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by CherockeeXJ
I'm trying to find a picture of a good trackbar. Mine doesn't quite look right. On the driver side of the bar it looks to be covered in grease and is cocked 45 degrees down compared to what it's mounted to.

I don't know how to describe it better but it sure as hell doesn't look right. I tried taking some pictures but it was too dark to get a good one.
You can have someone wiggle the steering wheel just a couple inches. Feel the Trac bar at the ends where it mounts to the body and the axle. There should be no play or movement. Show us a pic of what doesn't look right. Like what has already been said, it is a common cause.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:47 AM

violent shakes. death wobbles?-forumrunner_20130915_084539.jpg

Here is a bad shot of it I took last night. Nothing else is coated with grease except the end of the trackbar.

The other guy I'm working with today should be here in a couple minutes I'll have him wiggle my wheel and see then give you an update.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:12 AM

violent shakes. death wobbles?-forumrunner_20130915_090602.jpg

violent shakes. death wobbles?-forumrunner_20130915_090619.jpg

violent shakes. death wobbles?-forumrunner_20130915_090800.jpg

Here's a couple more. The ****er who was suppose to open with me is going to be an hour late so I won't be able to **** with it till I get off.

It's not flush with the bracket connecting it to the power steering pump. I tried to show that with one picture but it's an odd perspective. What's on my finger was also what's cover it in the two pictures. Not sure if it's a greasable bearing (looks like it) but if so then the amount of grease on the outside I doubt it's greased properly...
Attached Thumbnails violent shakes. death wobbles?-forumrunner_20130915_090627.jpg  
Old 09-15-2013, 12:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Model: Cherokee

That is you inner tie rod end on the drag link. Your grease boot is for sure blown out. And that will definitely cause some sloppy steering. Let us know if it is loose. The Trac bar is in the background of those pics. Check that also. They tend to wear out where it mounts on the body.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by JWheeler
That is you inner tie rod end on the drag link. Your grease boot is for sure blown out. And that will definitely cause some sloppy steering. Let us know if it is loose. The Trac bar is in the background of those pics. Check that also. They tend to wear out where it mounts on the body.
The trac bar didn't have any play when my friend turned the wheel for me. It has a little play if I grab it and twist it with my hand.

I think I'll start by replacing the ****ed up drag link.

Last edited by CherockeeXJ; 09-15-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:34 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I think you are missing the point here. Your pics are the drag link that connects the steering box to the right front wheel. The track bar connects from the frame to the axle housing and centers the axle. You probably won't see any looseness with the vehicle sitting on the ground. Have someone push sideways violently on the body and watch underneath. The body and axle should not move in relation to each other.

Quick Reply: violent shakes. death wobbles?