Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

TV cable adjustment JGC Laredo 1996 5.2

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 12:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 96
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2
Default TV cable adjustment JGC Laredo 1996 5.2

I've been adjusting my tv cable for 2 days now. I can't get it consistent. I can adjust it and go thru the shifts, stop and go and it won't shift correctly. What am I doing wrong? I've tried different procedures, pull the clip, push cable all way in, open throttle, pull cable in increments,etc..mine has the c clip adjuster. It works best when I pull cable all out and set clip. Stop start won't shift correctly.
Don
Old 02-19-2012, 03:48 PM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

Originally Posted by DON TX
I've been adjusting my tv cable for 2 days now. I can't get it consistent. I can adjust it and go thru the shifts, stop and go and it won't shift correctly. What am I doing wrong? I've tried different procedures, pull the clip, push cable all way in, open throttle, pull cable in increments,etc..mine has the c clip adjuster. It works best when I pull cable all out and set clip. Stop start won't shift correctly.
Don
I don't know about the c clip adjuster you mentioned, but it should be a simple adjustment to get it to factory specs. If as you say, it doesn't shift 'correctly' (you might describe in more detail what that means exactly) and you've tried moving it a click or two in either direction and it still isn't right.. You might just have to take it to a shop, have them adjust it, test drive it, (take them with you) and make sure it's good before you pay.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:19 PM

It has a white c clip instead of the button. The clip pulls out to adjust and then snaps back in. Same principal as the button. When I say it doesn't shift right, I mean it doesn't shift from 1-2-3-od the same as it does right after I adjust it. I can adjust it, drive it and it will shift from 1-2-3-od pretty good. I stop and go it shifts into 2nd at a higher rpm and may or may not shift into 3rd. I stop and readjust and does the same thing. I've tried adjusting 1 increment at a time and same song. It seems to only shift right if I adjust it tight. The clip is a little harder to adjust in smaller increments since it wants to pop off if I take it out too far. The button looks like it would be easier. I coul be wrong.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:47 PM

Well, to put an end to this story, I found the fluid was really low. After replacing the filter and gasket (was slightly leaking) it shifts much better and has a much better range of adjustment it the tv cable. The gasket wasn't leaking that bad but leaking. I had not checked the fluid level since adding a qt to show it level and assuming it was full. After driving it low for a good while I'm surprised there is not more damage. No crud in the fluid I drained and fluid didn't smell burnt. Anyway, I'm tickled it's ready for more sprucing like replace the inside door panels, cv joints, tint front side wds, door speakers, and new front seat covers.Thanks for you're support or just listening.
Don
Old 02-25-2012, 10:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: whats left of a 91
Model: Cherokee
Engine: one that makes noise

careful, if you have that TV cable adjusted too far you'll burn up the trans.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:45 PM

Thanks for the reminder