Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

trying to recover being burnt on purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default trying to recover being burnt on purchase

I just bought a used 97 Grand Cherokee Laredo V8 and got burnt now I am trying to recover and just had $375 worth of work done and it still will not stay running, start easily but as soon as I take my foot of the gas it dies. I have no clue as to why any suggestions. Also how do you get battery acid and old radiator water smell out of one I tore the carpet out of the cargo area it was ruined but still smells.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:39 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

is the check engine light on? what work was done? sounds like a IAC but thats a guess with little info...

for the smell i would wipe the floor down with soap/bleach and put a open box of backing soda in it for a few days to try and soak up the smell... but i would only bleach if the panels/seats are out and carpet removed. bummer you had a bad dealing...
Old 10-01-2011, 10:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

It does sound like the idle air control motor is bad and causing your stalling issue. Placing an open bag of Kingsford inside the Jeep will help absorb the stink.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 95
Engine: 4.0

Like said above, you could assume the IAC is bad or sticking, try cleaning it for a cheap/free guess.

Febreeze, lysol or other scent killers might help too.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:29 AM

Thanks for all advice, I had the IAC cleaned out, new spark plugs, dist cap and rotor, wire set, pvc valve, air filter and injection cleaner twice. Also had an oil change and new oil filter my mechanic said it was thick and black. I was looking for ideas and ran accross two recalls that may or may not have anything to do with it. I need it running it has to pass inspection this month and wont do that if it cant. I sure hope Mr John gets what is coming to him for such a rip off. I had just got out of the hospital due to my parkinsons and he dogged me to the max.. Will try the various suggestions for smell. I got all the carpet up under the back seats it looks like it soaked the seat belts trying to figure out if I can get them out and cleaned up or if it would even be worth it. Are they removable?
Old 10-03-2011, 05:32 AM

no the engine light is not on. The only light that stays on is the ABS. The IAC was cleaned up wonder if it sould be replaced. It is odd, never owned a jeep so not sure what is normal for them. It starts real good but as soon as I remove my foot from the gas, it is over.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:38 AM
AOR
Former Sponsor

For the smell use Neutroleum alpha. You can usually get it from your local AG department. It is very powerful stuff. I use it to get rid of skunk smell and other hard to remove odors.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 stock

Sorry about your bad luck. I've been burnt with purchases when I didn't know what to look for... The shady person will play it up like it's the deal of the century! Makes one feel dumb and a little violated once you find out you bought a dud.

The IAC passage is important to clean out but since the IAC is a sealed unit there isn't much you can clean... If it is seized then it isn't going to work.

The smell might also be mold in the HVAC system. Once you get it running you can open all the doors and turn the heater on full blast for about 10 minutes then spray some mold cleaner in the vents, allow to set and do it's thing then dry it out with another 10 minute blast of heat.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:43 AM

Default 97 Grand Jeep Cherokee Laredo stays running; now the rest of the story

To all suggestion my thank you for advice well taken. It finally starts and stays runnig. I had to replace the thermostat and temp sensor it thought it was running cold and kept dying. I feel like a never noticed the guage did not move. I thought my bad luck was behind me but just when I thought it was safe, cant pass inspection, the mechanic cleared the computer and we started fresh after 60 miles checked it and catalytic converter is registoring with errors and Texas wont pass with that code so now after all the money I cant afford it sits so I do not get a fine. It is something new everytime I drive it. Went to shut the door and the front panel closed not the door the idot had a household screw holding it on and of course did not see that. Had the serpitine belt replaced and now for about 10 miles it sounds like of flock of birds chirpping is what keeps it moving then when that stops the brakes squeak and screech. Can anyone say LEMON!!!!!!!I hope God get the puck that sold me it
Old 10-19-2011, 05:50 AM
Registered Users

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0ho

[rpbably should be asking this right away. how many miles are on it, pics of the condition? and how much did you pay.

I see threads like this on forums all over the net, and the original poster normally paid alot less than it was worth, and really got a good deal even tho they have to get dirty.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:05 AM

Has exactly 208650 miles when I put gas in it last night. I was told the engine had been rebuilt and there is only 50000 but when my mechanic looked it over the plugs were real old and carbed and the oil could have been cut with a knife. I usually am not so gullable but needed transportation since I had to surrendor my 07 Rondo (lost a job of 16 years in 08 and diagnosed with Parkinsons in 2010 just found a temp job this year making at least 25000 less a year so the 2400 I spent to buy it and the 395 to title it cause they signed it in april and I had to pay penalties, and then the 800 so far in repairs. I would guess I have spent oh 3250 to much already. If I had the money I would piece it back to gether
Old 10-19-2011, 06:16 AM
pwb

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L I6

Replace the IAC, mine 93 had idle issue after i disconnected the battery and the IAC should reset, in the start the idle rpm was high, but after some use it was to low, so low that it sometimes died. I tried to clean it but it didnt get any better, i replaced IAC, TPS and MAF (10-15 min of work) and now the car runs fine on idle. Before when i press the A/C button the idle had a drop on 1/2 sec. before going up again, but with the new IAC it dont drop. Remeber to clean the Throttle body to.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:22 AM

https://post.craigslist.org/u/3D33ntLl4BG_RNbQFsguSA/63dvy
you can see pictures of it
Old 10-19-2011, 06:36 AM

so far the plugs, plug wires, dist cap, dist roter, pcv valve air filter, new IAC, serp.. blet, thermostat and the sensor
Old 10-19-2011, 06:48 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

You sound young or at least new to the mechanical side of vehicle ownership.
The reason I say this: You can't count every part or component you have to buy for a used vehicle with 200K+ on it as part of the purchase. You're buying a 200K+ vehicle for god sake. 2400 for it doesn't sound bad as long as the body is in good shape. I have to assume it is because you haven't said anything about it yet.

Spend some time looking up issues and such. My O2 sensor on both of my wife's and my XJs was an exposed section of the O2 sensor wire from Bank2 rubbing and shorting out, tripping the computer. I found the bare section, taped it up and moved the wire off the metal it was rubbing on, had the code reset, and it hasn't came back on since on either.

Don't throw in the towel just yet, you'll need it to clean up after you grab a haynes/chilton and start diagnosing the little things that go wrong, making you a Jeep owner.
JEEP - Just Empty Every Pocket
We don't use that slogan just to be cute. lol

Good luck with your rig, I hope you stick with it and learn as you go. You'll either develop a taste for this sort of thing and begin to enjoy wrenching on your ride, or get frustrated and sell it.

Quick Reply: trying to recover being burnt on purchase