Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Transmission - towing question

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 11:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Transmission - towing question

Hi All,

So I got a 2001 GC limited 4.7L V8, looks like it came with the OEM tow package, it does have a trans cooler up front. Engine seems to be in good shape with 130K on the clock.

Planning to tow with this vehicle (trailer wt 1500-2500lbs), and wanted to know if others have come across issues while using these WJ's to tow with?

Is there a common problem, i.e... overheating coolant or trans? And if so is there a common fix?

In other words, any words of wisdom from those using this type of vehicle as a pulling vehicle, what to watch out for ???

Thx
Ben
Old 05-23-2017, 11:14 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Just keep the O/D locked out and the speed down when you tow heavy. Watch for the "trans overheat" light.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:52 AM

Year: 2004 WJ, 1998 XJ
Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)
Engine: 4.7 HO

Should have no problem with that weight but yes turn the O/D off. If you've never serviced the transmission, now might not be a bad time, especially if it's a long trip. But if you don't plan to go that route, check the fluid level and color.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:15 AM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L Magnum V8 220hp 285ft-lbs

A deeper pan w/ cooling fins will help to keep the ATF cooler in your 45RFE/545RFE transmission. The extra cost optional black powder coat finish will increase radiation heat transfer to improve cooling.

My 46RH transmission has the Derale cooling pan.

Keeping the fluid cool is very important. The cooling features and the extra fluid capacity both help to keep the fluid cool.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by rgr4475
Should have no problem with that weight but yes turn the O/D off. If you've never serviced the transmission, now might not be a bad time, especially if it's a long trip. But if you don't plan to go that route, check the fluid level and color.

Serviced it a couple of days ago, fluid was a little brown from PO use, put new filters and gasket in it, and fresh ATF+4.

Did a quick test drive with the trailer loaded down, midday in PX was 106 out, pulled it ok, and I kept the OD off, coming back last 10 miles I wanted to see if I would get a High Trans Temp if I turned on the OD, sure enough about 3 miles later got the light. Locked out the OD for the rest of the test drive, got the WJ home and idled it down to cool it off.

Leaving out tomorrow early to avoid high temps, got a few grades to pull it up, I guess we will keep the OD locked out the whole trip and just take it slow and easy.

Thx
Ben
Old 05-25-2017, 11:43 PM

Thanks guys for the info, I'll keep the OD locked out and just go slow and easy. I'll try to post up and let you know how it went.

Thx
Ben
Old 05-25-2017, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by wingless
A deeper pan w/ cooling fins will help to keep the ATF cooler in your 45RFE/545RFE transmission. The extra cost optional black powder coat finish will increase radiation heat transfer to improve cooling.

My 46RH transmission has the Derale cooling pan.

Keeping the fluid cool is very important. The cooling features and the extra fluid capacity both help to keep the fluid cool.
I like it, going to have to look into gettin one when I get back, Thx
Old 05-26-2017, 05:48 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

The best feature about that pan is the airflow tubes and the drain plug! The same dipstick should be used because the temp sensor must be submerged in the fluid to read properly. Just keep in mind the reduced ground clearance!

Last edited by dave1123; 05-26-2017 at 05:51 AM.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The extra capacity of the deeper pan is always a good thing.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:45 AM

Yes, the drain plug is very handy. The whole tip a corner concept is great for ATF everywhere.

Sure, there is less ground clearance, but the pan doesn't hang down more than required. I saved the stock pan for swapping if off road is planned or for removing the transmission so it fits my transmission jack.

On mine I also added the filter extender.

Name:  Derale%20Cooling%20Pan.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  200.9 KB
Old 05-29-2017, 04:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Fred on here tows his drag car and xj on a car trailer with his.As long as you drive smart you should be fine with that weight.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:51 PM

Well just got back from the trip, here is a little follow up on the trans performance....Sorry it got a little long, but I wanted to give a clear picture of events.

Departed Phoenix early morning Friday so heat wasn't an issue, destination was the north rim GC 500 miles each way. The trip up was for the most part an upgrade pull with a few steep grades thrown in for fun.

Trailer weight was somewhere between 2K and 2.5K, WJ was loaded in the back with coolers probably 200-300lbs, and 4 people...

Did all the trip with the O/D off.

About 2 hrs into the trip I got a Trans Temp High light followed by a CEL, code was the P0740, every time I got the TTH light I pulled over let the WJ idle and occasionally shifted thru the gears N, R, P, R, N, D, 2, 1, etc... then just waited for the temp to go down.

So on the trip up I got the TTH 6 seperate times each time was on a uphill pull (nothing specific, from slight upgrade to very steep). Once up at the NRGC, I disconnected the battery for the night to clear the P0740 code (my scan gauge will not clear jeep codes for some reason?).

The return trip went for the most part fairly well as far as the trans was concerned. The CEL was cleared after I disconnected the battery the first day at camp, so I did not get a CEL on the trip back, and the TTH light came on only twice during the last 100 miles, and no codes.

As a side note the power steering pulley decided to explode on me when I was 60 miles from home, leaving me totally dead in the water. Damn $20 part cost me $450 in towing, I thought if I broke down it was going to be the tranny...go figure!

Anyway, what is everyones thoughts on the dependability of this transmission?

1. Is it faling or is a TTH light something these WJ's just do when pulling?

2, Is this type of pulling and trip just asking to much of the WJ?

3. Is a new transmission the fix, or are there repairs/mods that will help?

I need to make this a dependable vehicle, I will be away this summer and wife and kids want to pull this trailer up to the Mogollon Rim solo this summer to camp, can't have this breakdown on them.

Thx
Ben

Last edited by Gothere; 06-01-2017 at 02:01 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:02 PM

Thanks for the detailed trip report.

IMO, fit the LARGEST auxiliary fluid cooler that will fit the available space for the transmission.

Also fit the deeper transmission cooling pan w/ cooling fins.

Regardless, do a full ATF fluid and filter change at the earliest opportunity.

The auxiliary power steering cooler would be another good addition.