Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default transmission issues

I have read thousands of threads today on the different problems with the aw4 transmission. I have still not found an answer as my problem seems to be different then everyone else. Here is the issue. I just got a 93 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 4.0l and an aw4 transmission (the vin code is S). The guy I got it from said that he played with the tv cable trying to get harder shifts. I tested it and it shifted through all the gears, but it did hesitate to shift into overdrive. I have since fixed the tv cable adjustment and when the drivetrain is cool it shifts through all 4 gears, but when it gets warm it will not shift into third. I have tried forcing the shift using the throttle and putting the shifter into neutral and dropping it back to drive. I have replaced my tps and checked my fluid. The next thing is solenoids, or r&r the tranny. Please give me any input as I do not have money nor alot of time.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:45 PM

and I have pulled the codes and there are no codes.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:27 AM

I will be pulling my pan off today to test the solenoids and change the fluid and filter, but if someone has any other suggestions please let me know
Old 01-09-2013, 01:53 PM

so my vin number lied to me, I have the 42re transmission not the aw4. any suggestions now on what to do?
Old 01-09-2013, 02:26 PM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

I think the 42re has a lock-up torque converter.. I had a broken brake light switch which caused problems with the converter locking up. (or not locking up) The rpms change slightly when it locks or unlocks and I mistakenly thought it was going in and out of OD. New switch and proper adjustment fixed it for mine. But mine IS the AW4. Dunno if that'll help you, but maybe worth looking at.
*I know improper adjustment of the TV cable can cause eventual damage to the transmission, but if it won't shift into 3rd (or did you mean OD?) it's probably time to check out the tranny as you stated above. Keep us posted on what you find out.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

^good info. Make sure that it is 4th and not lockup first. You can tell in third or fourth gear if you left foot brake and the rpms jump under light accel.
Drop the pan and check the solenoids, probably not a solenoid problem but it cant hurt. While the pan is down inspect carefully for small pieces of metal, pieces that look like they could be part of a large snap ring.
Feel around the top of the valve body also and check for pieces.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:40 PM

thanks for the info, i dropped the pan and the normal specs of metal were in the pan. There were no chunks or anything out of the norm. It will not shift into third after it warms up. It stays in second and will not even try to up shift. I am finishing the service right now and will test it out and let you guys know.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:18 PM

so the test drive is a bust, I let it warm up and filled the tranny and it still did the same thing, it shifted better the first time, but when I came to a stop and took off it went through first then second and would not up shift to third.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:25 AM

Well, I solved my transmission problem. I had to replace it with another one. The 42re is for my jeep is hard to come by, but I got it done and now it shifts good for the most part. There is a little hesitation between first and second. When it is in either of those gears it does not slip at all. What are your thoughts? TV cable or solenoid?
Old 01-30-2013, 11:39 PM

sorry for the delay in the updates, but I got a code the other day that I do not know what it means. It is code 24 (overdrive override control switch lamp output) What could cause this or what does it mean? Has anyone had this code before? Any help would be great.