Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Transfer case compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Transfer case compatibility

Hey, guys. First time poster, as you can see! I've got a 2000 Grand Cherokee with 218k on the clock. Just a baby, I know.

Anyway, on the way back to work today, driving normally on the highway, and CLUNK, this happens:

Front driveshaft shears itself right through the transfer case. Ouch! It looks like the teeth on the driveshaft got grinded down, so it was just rotating freely within the case, then just kicked its way out. At the moment, it's just rotating on the subframe brace where it sits in the picture. Car still drives fine (in RWD), but makes one hell of a noise, obviously!

Anyway, I've located a '95 GC as a parts car. The guy is going to begin stripping the car down this weekend. I clearly need a new driveshaft and TC. Will the driveshaft and case off the '95 fit my 2000? I've done a little research, and it seems that the TCs are pretty universal for the earlier years, but maybe I'm incorrect. I'm unsure about the driveshaft compatibility. Should everything just bolt right up?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-14-2013, 08:26 PM

I don't think you need a new TC just a new drive shaft. The part that is still on the TC is the cv joint from the drive shaft, unless there some thing else I'm not seeing. BTW either take the front drive shaft out our don't drive it. I've seen oil pans get new drain holes thanks to broken front drive shafts.

Last edited by Outlaw450; 11-14-2013 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Outlaw450
I don't think you need a new TC just a new drive shaft. The part that is still on the TC is the cv joint from the drive shaft, unless there some thing else I'm not seeing. BTW either take the front drive shaft out our don't drive it. I've seen oil pans get new drain holes thanks to broken front drive shafts.
Thanks for the reply! Going to replace the TC anyway, for the price that I'm getting the pair. Current TC grinds like crazy in 2WD and 4 Full. 4 Part Time is the only place is doesn't sound like it's dragging a washer/dryer under the car .
Old 11-15-2013, 07:54 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

If they are both 4.0s, I don't see a problem with the TC itself, the driveshafts may be different however, because of not using CV joints on the front one.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by dave1123
If they are both 4.0s, I don't see a problem with the TC itself, the driveshafts may be different however, because of not using CV joints on the front one.
Hmmm. Good point. Judging from the few pictures that I've found of a '95 driveshaft, they look to be using a CV joint for the front one. For the price, I'll just risk it. If it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit, and I'll just grab one online.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94

You mentioned the 2wd position on your 00 WJ, I assume you have the select trac transfer (NP242).

I'll probably have some newb whine about me telling you to do a Google search but I don't believe the transfers (95 to 00) are compatible.. and I don't remember the exact reason why.. speedo perhaps?
Old 11-15-2013, 06:54 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97

Originally Posted by OverlandZJ
You mentioned the 2wd position on your 00 WJ, I assume you have the select trac transfer (NP242).

I'll probably have some newb whine about me telling you to do a Google search but I don't believe the transfers (95 to 00) are compatible.. and I don't remember the exact reason why.. speedo perhaps?
Correct. The 95 version uses a u-joint yoke at the case and either a cv or u-joint at the axle. WJs use a flange with cvs on both ends. You may be able to swap to a u-joint yoke on the axle and have a shaft made to length but you'd come out much cheaper to just find a new drive shaft and if needed a WJ t-case.