Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Trailer hitch receiver install

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Trailer hitch receiver install

Hi, I'm working on installing a trailer receiver and am having issues right off the bat. On the rear of the jeep, surrounding of course the gas tank are stock hitch bolts coming out from the frame. Now a couple of these bolts are so rusted there's no longer any threads left, these are the stud looking ones that comes down from the passenger side frame, on the drivers side are a couple more rusted bolts with nuts. I tried to loosen the nuts and was working until... Yup the welds on the bolts inside the frame broke.
Does anyone have any idea how in the world I can get these things out? I started using a nut cracker on one nut but the location is making it hard to get a clean cut all the way through. I'll try hitting the cracked nu with a chisel or air hammer tomorrow and see if it gives.
I'm thinking the only option left is to break out the grinder, but I'm not to sure about doing that around the gas tank.
Any ideas will be appreciated.
Thanks