Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

is there really a death wobble cure

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 02:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default is there really a death wobble cure

I have posted on here before just wanted to know if there is a sure fire way to cure this i have 3 inch lift on 96 zj just got adj front track bar skyjacker front lower control arms yet to be installed will these help i have been doing homework via internet but everyone points to some thing else tires alignment tie rods etc etc, any input would be nice i know im a FNG but all comments will help please just dont look over this i need help aand input
Old 09-14-2010, 03:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: l6 4.0, K&N FIPK & 62mm bored TB

Originally Posted by tattooedbmf
I have posted on here before just wanted to know if there is a sure fire way to cure this i have 3 inch lift on 96 zj just got adj front track bar skyjacker front lower control arms yet to be installed will these help i have been doing homework via internet but everyone points to some thing else tires alignment tie rods etc etc, any input would be nice i know im a FNG but all comments will help please just dont look over this i need help aand input
Since DW can be caused by one thing or a combination of things, there definitely isn't a "sure fire" way to fix it. Maybe you can learn from my experience: the first time it appeared I was told that my BFG AT tires were bad. So I swapped them for my Swampers. No DW! Eventually it seemed that my ATs & DW went hand in hand, so I got a different set of ATs. (Let me add now that bad tires can contribute to front end shimmy, steering wheel wobble, but they don't cause Death Wobble.) But the problem returned with the new ATs, so I knew we were on the wrong track.

My XJ had been lifted for years, so it wasn't the lift. Next I discovered that 3 track bar mounting bolts had sheared off . Then saw that motor mounts were busted. Had them all fixed & still had DW. I believe the DW actually caused those parts to fail from the sheer violence of the vibrations, instead of the other way around. I was advised with some authority by 2 or 3 people that the track bar is usually at the heart of DW one way or another.

At a loss & tired of the back & forth to the shop, (much of my work is hired out), I decided to attack it with both barrels: sold my RE 1600 for a JKS track bar, got new UCA bushings, steering stabilizer, full Currie steering & Durango steering box swap. In the process, every bushing on the front end had been changed . This was a pretty pricey but thorough fix, last Christmas and the DW hasn't returned. I think we finally have it licked. Good Luck.