Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Tail gate Lock, Rear Control arms, Clock/Console problem

Old 11-17-2014, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L
Thumbs up Tail gate Lock, Rear Control arms, Clock/Console problem

Dear Forum Members.
Two questions:

1. My Tail gate lock has a small spring blocking the slot where the key enters. This is obviously for that small piece of metal which closes the "cover" after the key is removed.
The lock itself ( to me) has sounded and felt stiff for a while. WD-40 gives a bit of relief but, not so much with the stiffness of the turn. Nonetheless, today I had a problem inserting the key and then after lubricating and further inspection found that the spring is out of place - blocking the entrance. I can, still, put the key in and pull it out however, without that little door, I imagine I will have more "ice" problems over the winter etc. I researched a replacement part I found one for 49.00 the question is..In your collective experience should I seek to replace this lock? and, How do I set it to my already existing key? I realize these are preliminary problems, however, I don't want to get stuck with this lock not working for without opening this door first, the alarm, periodically, goes off when I open the passenger door.

2. Rear control arms, upper and lower, is there a certain brand that I should use to replace - OR - can I simply use what I find on Auto-Zone.

3. While driving, my clock, console info center, periodically reverts to Jan 1. etc. etc. and blinks (as if the battery has been connected). Can anyone tell me what should be done? Everything else (relatively speaking ) is working well, electrically.

Thanks so much, Thomas

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee - 5.2 Liter engine, 192,497 miles.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:12 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

On the tailgate lock. You can replace it and use a separate key or talk to a locksmith and maybe he can re-key the new lock for your existing key. Your system isn't a security key type so any key that turns the lock will work.

The VIC probably has a loose connection in the harness plug.

IDK about the control arms, but check with jeep4x4center.com

Wait! I just checked with rockauto.com and they have them for about $25 each.

Brooklyn huh? My wife was from 29th and Kings Highway.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We carry a lot of repair parts for these Jeeps. Here's a link to the control arms that we carry.

http://www.1aauto.com/1994-jeep-gran...ampaign=1ATony
Old 12-22-2014, 09:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

My 97 GC had rear lock frozen in closed position and would not budge. My mechanic soaked it in WD40 and now it works just fine with a shot of PB every so often to keep it from seizing up again. I tried to replace lock myself but trust me....it did not look easy to do. you have to take off the inside panel and even then it looked like a for real hassel to change out. Try looking online for schematic of this nightmare and you'll see what I mean. I even had two new locks to use!!! Try to live with what you have until you can't use lock anymore. If it locks with the autolock door switch I'd use that. My present Jeep locks with key and the autolock door switch on driver's door. Just be worried when it won't lock or unlock any longer.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2L

I haven't even had the time to deal with it yet, but, it's been a hassle since I've had to be extremely careful about leaving my car on the street ( Brooklyn). I"m not longer living in Brooklyn, I"m in Vermont now, so, I"m not under as much concern about security. None of this should suggest that I don't want to do anything about it. I still want to deal with this situation for two reasons. 1. The car isn't secure without the tailgate locked. 2. The Alarm can only be disengaged by the "tailgate". The Passenger door no longer disengages the alarm ( it if happens to go off). I no longer have a Viper Fob ( had it removed) and since I don't know how to disengage the factory installed alarm, I'm constantly having to be ready to deal with the alarm going off.

Further, I cannot find the correct lock ( no one seems to know what this is) I even spoke with a local dealer who told me to go to a local locksmith...etc. etc.

I will take the back panel off because I believe part of the problem is that the mechanism needs some heavy lubricant ( not wd40) because it's the arms that are causing the great stiffness in the manual locking and unlocking of the tailgate.

Does any one KNOW for sure where I can find a replacement lock? (Again, no one seems to be able to answer this question, not parts stores either.) They are all aware of the "car door locks" be none of them know if this is the same lock for the tailgate.

Thanks so much for your help and advice. Thomas PS. I will be buying the control arms - thank you for that tip!