Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Steering problem on my 99 gradn cherokee! any help

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default Steering problem on my 99 gradn cherokee! any help

i have a 99 grand cherokee with 4in lift and 33" tires. when im driving down the road and hit a bump the front end shakes. only does it when i hit a bump really? was wondering if anyone has any answers or thoughts? is it the death wobble?
Old 02-17-2011, 05:02 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 5.2L V8

Is the trac bar stock? Or moved? Sounds like bumpsteer.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:51 PM

id have to look, i just bought the truck not to long ago and everything was already done to it. It just feels like the steering is funny on it now
Old 02-17-2011, 05:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes that is death wobble, check all your control arm bushings, check trac bar and tie rod ends for play, get the tires balanced, get an alignment, that might take care of it
Old 02-18-2011, 02:44 PM

thanks guys i will check those things out
Old 02-18-2011, 03:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

My 95 had the same problem. It had a 2"spacer lift and a bunch of new front end parts when I got it, I replaced the upper and lower control arms because the bushings were shot. Still had a death wobble after going over some rough railroad tracks. I took the lift spacers out and it feels like a brand new rig with NO DW. It's your lift causing the DW. Do not spend any money on a steering stabilizer, it will not fix the problem.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Bustedback
It's your lift causing the DW. Do not spend any money on a steering stabilizer, it will not fix the problem.
That statement is a load of B.S. It is not your lift causing your death wobble, im lifted 8 inches and have NO death wobble, my best friends grand was lifted 6 inches on short arms and he had ZERO death wobble, how can you justify sayin its his lift causing it if you havent even seen the thing, just cause you THINK your 2" budget boost caused yours? compete B.S.!
Old 02-18-2011, 07:14 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

lay off busted back, he knows his stuff. Every rig is diffrent, some get wobble and some dont, some things fix it on one, and on another it wont. It is a mysterious condition, and for bustedback the easy fix was to remove, might be something diffrent for someone else.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by tiwvr1
lay off busted back, he knows his stuff. Every rig is diffrent, some get wobble and some dont, some things fix it on one, and on another it wont. It is a mysterious condition, and for bustedback the easy fix was to remove, might be something diffrent for someone else.
I have a problem with misdirection, death wobble is far from mysterious, there is always a reason, and a lift is usually NOT it, and once on the alignment rack its pretty easy to diagnose why a vehicle has DW, I worked at a 4x4 performance shop for 10 years installing lifts and building custom suspension systems, and have been a mechanic for 17 years, you think I dont know what Im talking about? haha
Old 02-18-2011, 08:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

So in your professional opinion, what is causing his DW issue?
Old 02-18-2011, 08:39 PM

Year: 2k
Engine: 4.0

I'm no professional but I'd say it's more than likely the same reoccurring problem that everyone posts about. Parts get worn quicker when lifted along with larger, heavier tires. Check track bar, tre's, ball joints. Get an alignment done also if you have not done so yet.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:32 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2

Never stated that you didnt know what you were talking about. I just said that there are a number of problems that CAN lead to death wobble, and 95% of the time, it is AFTER someone lifts it.

OP, take it to a good alg shop, explain to the tech who is working on it what is going on. Even though he should be doing this already tell him to check all suspension components, and if they are all good, have him check the alg. Most likley caster has gone to far negative on the front, and in my opinion, if suspension is fine, caster is the culprit.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:50 AM

Year: 2k
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by tiwvr1
Never stated that you didnt know what you were talking about. I just said that there are a number of problems that CAN lead to death wobble, and 95% of the time, it is AFTER someone lifts it.

OP, take it to a good alg shop, explain to the tech who is working on it what is going on. Even though he should be doing this already tell him to check all suspension components, and if they are all good, have him check the alg. Most likley caster has gone to far negative on the front, and in my opinion, if suspension is fine, caster is the culprit.
You said it's after the lift. This may be true but the lift itself should not be the cause. Angles change when it's lifted and thing get out of whack. You can't just throw on a lift and be good unless you're lucky. Check all of you front end components.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:47 PM

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0l

I have a simiular problem with a different vehicle. After you investigate all the stearing components, ball joints, tie rod ends, stabilizer, etc. there is one other area to have checked out. The tires. In my vehicle, it turned out to be a separating tire to be the blame. After checking all ball joints, wheel hubs, breaks, took it down to have the front alignment checked and tires balanced. The tire shop said one tire could not be balanced, it was bad. At certain speeds, about 40mph, hit a bump and DW. Of course they could be saying that just to get me to buy new tires.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:32 PM

I took the truck and got a oil change and a inspection on the front end at a shop and the tech said everything checked out ok. The only thing he said could be causing it would be the steering dampener. He said that could cause some shaking if its worn out and is known on these jeeps to do that and mine is the stock one on it still. So i will maybe change that and try and get a alignment and balance and see it that helps. thanks for everyones opinions though because this is driving me crazy lol

Quick Reply: Steering problem on my 99 gradn cherokee! any help