Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Stealership + WK Auto Transmission Oil Pan Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Stealership + WK Auto Transmission Oil Pan Gasket

My dealer quoted me 200$ to change an Oil Pan Gasket because it's leaking, on the estimate I noticed it says 70$ for transmission oil, when I asked that dumb stealership *&^%*&^ she said if I did a transmission oil change I would need the filter and it would still cost the same (about 300$) wether I change the pan gasket or not.

Am I being charged double for the transmission oil than? Thank you.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Buy some tools and do your own repairs.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Bustedback
Buy some tools and do your own repairs.
If I knew how or had the time would I be here asking questions?
Old 07-18-2012, 09:52 AM
CF Veteran

Then you are at the mercy of the dealership or an independent shop. A little bit of knowledge and skill will pay for itself.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:17 AM

Then you are at the mercy of the dealership or an independent shop. A little bit of knowledge and skill will pay for itself.
You make it sound like it's a game of checkers... I wish it was that easy, unfortunately I have never been interested or trusted my skills in mechanics.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:44 PM
CF Veteran

If you can read a cook book and bake a cake, you can read a manual and do your own simple repairs and maintanence. Tools are expensive, but they last a lifetime. It is kind of like a chess game when dealing with the dealership, they will always try to upsale you for services you really don't need, like fuel system flushes, cooling system flushes, and transmission fluid flushes. Those are just some over priced services that a flat rate mechanic can do in half an hour but charge you three hours. Fluids at the dealership are way over priced too. Are they good? Yes. But not worth the markup. I was a flat rate mechanic years ago and had to upsale services in order to make any money at the end of the week. A majority of the work dealerships do is warranty work, warranty repairs hardly pay anything for a general line tech, so the upsale helps make up the difference. A 90k service pays the tech about 6 hours, he can get it done in less than two. That is 4 hours of profit in the techs pocket while he is making money on another repair. It is not unusual for some techs to flag 24 hours in an 8 hour day, all it takes is a slick service writer and some skill. I hated working at dealerships, I was too honest.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:38 PM

Cool, understood!

I m just probably a bit scared with all these new inventions like quadtrec 2, transmission oils, differential oils, pcv valves, basically the whole 200,000 km maintenance schedule, etc the normal mechanic on the corner of my street will miss some info, or put the wrong type, or this or that.

Now I'm going tomorrow and have already boughten a moog control arm for 200 $ less than what they asked and 2 rear link kits to get all that installed. Along with an alignment...

Would the local garage be able to do all that with no problems?

Do you think a transmission pan gasket leak could be the cause of my annoyances when I hit the gas and the truck feels like it's dragging and slow to accelerate?

It felt so strong when I bought this 2006 wk jeep 2 years ago, what kind of a tune up did the dealership do to my jeep before I bought it?

I'm also paranoid about my local mechanic not haven putten the spark plugs correctly... Anyway to tell?

Besides those3
Old 07-18-2012, 11:02 PM
CF Veteran

The sluggish transmission could be caused by a misadjusted throttle cable adjustment, pretty simple to adjust. Moog makes a good product, and the control arms are just a simple bolt on deal. Same for the link kit install.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:54 AM

The sluggish transmission could be caused by a misadjusted throttle cable adjustment, pretty simple to adjust. Moog makes a good product, and the control arms are just a simple bolt on deal. Same for the link kit install.
Hi Bustedback, that is great info and advice, I will definitely listen!

Ok, I just dropped off my 2006 4.7 jeep grand cherokee at the stealership to change the control arm, 2 rear links and wheel alignement because Im going on a road trip tomorrow...anyhow their jaw kinda dropped a bit when i told them I had my own parts. Anyhow for the throttle thing, I told the guy there if they can check the misadjusted throttle cable adjustment, and they said my engine/jeep does not have those... I read on some forums about almost similar problems and they pointed out to this:

1. Check Fuel Pressure
2. TPS and IAC (Throttle position sensor and Idle Air Control)
3. Check the wires that go into the TPS maybe they are not making good contact with the connector
4. Another guy suggested this: Check the cat and muffler because he said his jeep was dead slow when going up steep inclines which is exactly what I had last year during my road trip with a packed jeep though..

What do you think? They wanted 1 hour labor time (105$) to run some diagnostics. What would you do or ask them to check if you press on the gas and it feels as if it's not pulling as nice and hard as it used to..

As if I have some fuel leaking elsewhere, not going where it's suppose to be going, I also started my jeep next to a wall and it was making a noise as if the muffler or the exhaust is cranking out badly, ...I dont know they checked the exhaust system at my last checkup on Monday and they didnt find anything...what can it be? I would just like to press the gas and take off like a rocket like it used too 2 years ago..Could it be I need a throttle body cleanup/pcv valve change, transfer case change? Confused, would really appreciate your feedback sir.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:59 AM
CF Veteran

A clogged catalytic converter or a cracked exhaust will effect engine performance. A clogged fuel filter will also hamper performance, but the bad thing is the filter is on the intank fuel pump.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:50 PM

A clogged catalytic converter or a cracked exhaust will effect engine performance. A clogged fuel filter will also hamper performance, but the bad thing is the filter is on the intank fuel pump.
That's great! Will fix all 3 eventually and will update, thanks!
Old 07-19-2012, 11:05 PM

Forget about the EGR valve right?

Rpm seems fine.

Power is definitely missing. I had just noticed the fuel filter is in the fuel pump this morning... I wonder who makes good replacements.,,

I'm also still hearing weird, squeaky, rattling and annoying little noises over anything I drive over, especially in the 10-50 mph range. I'm gonna try and make a video on that noise, I guarantee you it's somewhere between my dashboard on the right front side and the bottom of the suspension, it definitely seems to becoming from midpoint... Or higher, and about 3-4 squeaky noises happen in a successive order...

I placed the jeep on a sidewalk front wheels and got down under the front side and touched all those suspension parts, even the sway bar bushings and everything seem fine and greased.