Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Stalling in Reverse only issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 10:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 5.2
Default Stalling in Reverse only issue

I have a stalling issue, the jeep dies in reverse but only in reverse. I have read the dirty dozen thread and cleaned the iac and replaced it and the tps and nothing changed.I'm thinking crank position sensor. But why only in reverse ? I had stalling before when it was cold the iac fixed that issue. but now it seems to be stalling in reverse when it's warm. It's a 1996 ZJ limited with a 5.2 and full time 4 wheel drive. Please help!

Matt

more in formation.

I put a better Iac in it today but I am suspect of the tps it's a cheap kragens part, my idle still moves up and down a little bit when i am park but not in drive. so I might change the tps again, it could use a tune up it has never had one done in the year i have owned it, I just had a used transmission put in it because the old one died and I did not want to spend 1800 plus for a new one. Could it be the transmission it self ?? The way it dies is just like how when you turn off the car it just stalls out and have to restart it.

some one told me the ignition coil could cause this issue also ?

Help
Old 06-17-2013, 06:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2015
Model: Cherokee (KL)
Engine: 3.2l

What are you're rpm's during idle, reverse, and drive? I had a similar issue with an older vehical of mine (not a Jeep) and it turned out to be poor vaccum lines.
Old 01-01-2023, 09:16 PM

Creature85 what vacuum lines did you replace
Old 02-09-2023, 04:53 PM

Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)

Hey I’m very new to this! But I’m having the same type of issues!
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
1​​​​​​) First it only sputtered bucked in only reverse! Then it cuts off!
2) Now if I put it in reverse it just completely stalls!
3) No engine light will stay on! Sometimes for a split second while it sputters it will cut on then right back off but the engine light won’t stay on!
4)No codes will pop up!!

What have I done to fix or find this problem so far!
1) Replaced a crankshaft position sensor
2) O2 sensors and CPS looks brand new also no issues with Trans Wiring.
3) Vaccum Hose had 3 slits in it so I had that replaced but still having the same problems.

If Anybody Can Give Me Any Suggestions Please Do!?
Old 02-09-2023, 04:55 PM

Year: 2004

I am still able to use reverse but it will buck and sputter then it will stall!! If I give it a few seconds it will crank back up and do the same thing all over again!
Old 02-09-2023, 05:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 623 Likes on 465 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Old 03-20-2023, 02:33 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

I had the same problem and finally discovered it was the connection between the crank position sensor and the wiring harness on the distributor side. It's buried a little bit behind the valve cover and has given me trouble before. This time putting in reverse just happened to move the engine enough to cause it to disconnect. Opened it apart cleaned the three prongs very carefully with a Q-tip, ran a small drill bit down the female side of the plug receiver to clean those out snap it back together real good problem solved. I also went ahead and double zip tied it to nearby wiring to minimize any shaking. I can't tell you how many times the wiring shake test has led to discovering the problem. The first time this happened I got stuck in death Valley, that was not cool.
Old 03-20-2023, 02:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 623 Likes on 465 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Skurfer
I had the same problem and finally discovered it was the connection between the crank position sensor and the wiring harness on the distributor side. It's buried a little bit behind the valve cover and has given me trouble before. This time putting in reverse just happened to move the engine enough to cause it to disconnect. Opened it apart cleaned the three prongs very carefully with a Q-tip, ran a small drill bit down the female side of the plug receiver to clean those out snap it back together real good problem solved. I also went ahead and double zip tied it to nearby wiring to minimize any shaking. I can't tell you how many times the wiring shake test has led to discovering the problem. The first time this happened I got stuck in death Valley, that was not cool.

back to back resurrection posts