Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Son Hit Tree Yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Son Hit Tree Yesterday

My 16 year old fishailed yesterday in my 96 Jeep Country. Hit a tree right in the middle of front bumper. Minor radiator damage. Front bumper is toast.

Question is this: The component the bumper is bolted to is (I assume) the frame. This component (frame) is bent significantly.

Can frames be straightened? If so, how?
Old 08-15-2010, 10:33 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: Inline 6

Originally Posted by Sluggo
My 16 year old fishailed yesterday in my 96 Jeep Country. Hit a tree right in the middle of front bumper. Minor radiator damage. Front bumper is toast.

Question is this: The component the bumper is bolted to is (I assume) the frame. This component (frame) is bent significantly.

Can frames be straightened? If so, how?
check out my build... my dads a frame guy but we just used his 09 f250 and a chain and pulled it out.. does yours look similar ?
Old 08-15-2010, 10:46 AM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

Originally Posted by hitalonit
check out my build... my dads a frame guy but we just used his 09 f250 and a chain and pulled it out.. does yours look similar ?
the cherokees and grand cherokees have different cross members. If not to badly mangled it should be fix able. I would really go around and check for cracks in the frame and get frame stiffeners, atleast for the front end. They make them for the xj's not sure about the grands tho.

the grands look like this
Old 08-15-2010, 11:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 inline 6 (o yea!)

As a last resort any good body shop should have a frame rack which they can measure the frame and then adjust it as need be to ensure everything is in square. I know there is a shop where I live that if all they are doing is pulling the frame and straightening and everything is already disassembled they are pretty cheap. IMO though I would find a tree and a come along.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:37 AM

And this is why gentelmen i think KIDS should never be driving... Learning or not... I say wait till they are at least 18 lol.. None of my buisness what you and your son do.. Just saying.. When i was 16 i didnt think like i do now.. (24)

My brother is 16 and man he is scary when he drives... Lots of teens i know are like this
Old 08-16-2010, 10:14 AM

Engine: 4.0 6 cylinder

Originally Posted by candymancan
And this is why gentelmen i think KIDS should never be driving... Learning or not... I say wait till they are at least 18 lol.. None of my buisness what you and your son do.. Just saying.. When i was 16 i didnt think like i do now.. (24)

My brother is 16 and man he is scary when he drives... Lots of teens i know are like this

im almost positive there some better younger drivers Then you at your ripe old age of 24...hes asking for help not opinions of whether his son should be on the road or not
Old 08-17-2010, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by THENNING
im almost positive there some better younger drivers Then you at your ripe old age of 24...hes asking for help not opinions of whether his son should be on the road or not

Ok smart *** for one, i said it wasnt any of my buisness what he does with his kid i just think 16 is to young to drive.. Last i Looked teens are even more dangeroous and kill more people then Senior's who are in walkers.. Stastics dont lie.

As for my ripe old age comment.. I was merly saying the diff between 16 and say 21 is pretty big on how you think when you drive.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:57 AM

Engine: 4.0 6 cylinder

Ok smart *** for one, i said it wasnt any of my buisness what he does with his kid i just think 16 is to young to drive.. Last i Looked teens are even more dangeroous and kill more people then Senior's who are in walkers.. Stastics dont lie.

As for my ripe old age comment.. I was merly saying the diff between 16 and say 21 is pretty big on how you think when you drive.

ok boss if its none of your business like you clearly stated in your last post why bother giving your opinion? but i mean what am i sayin your 24 you know everything
Old 08-17-2010, 11:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by THENNING

Old 08-17-2010, 11:18 AM

Engine: 4.0 IL

Seniors are only MARGINALLY safer than teen drivers at best. My girlfriend (17) Just got rear ended last week by an 80+ year old man on Vicodin. So IDK where you get your "statistics" but they're wrong.

If they don't learn at 16 they wont think properly about driving at 21. Where did you learn to think the way you do? From EXPERIENCE take that away from the teen drivers and then we just have a demographic of 18+ drivers with the same experience as a 16 y/o. At least at 15/16 they have to drive with parents, and learn.

I'm 19, and been in 2 accidents neither my fault. I've been driving since i was 16. So who is more dangerous me? Or the guy that T-boned me (age 44) and sent me airborne over a guard rail?

Besides statistics usually include 15 - 24 meaning your wizened mind is still in the teen driver demographic.

"Young people ages 15-24 represent only 14% of the U.S. population. However, they account for 30% ($19 billion) of the total costs of motor vehicle injuries among males and 28% ($7 billion) of the total costs of motor vehicle injuries among females." (http://www.cdc.gov/MotorVehicleSafet...factsheet.html)

*rant over*

Anyway, yes you can straighten the frame. And I would look into frame stiffeners for that too, seeing as how its definitely going to be weak there. A new steel front bumper may be in order... = )

Last edited by Johnny1217; 08-17-2010 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:50 AM

Year: 96
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

all i gotta say is i work in a body shop and frames can always be fixed no matter how bad the damage just depends on how far you wanna go but from what i understand your frame should be real easy to fix just remember you will never get it perfect buy just pulling it out when things get streched and bent you endup with extra metal but if your just looking to get it fixed up good enuff find a big tree and a comlong in most cases you will have to ancor the back too so park your truck behind it and cain the axle of the jeep to your hitch of your truck and start pulling ..........good luck if you have any other questions please feel free to ask ill do my best to try and help you

Last edited by meteor1960; 08-17-2010 at 02:37 PM.