Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

some ZJ questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default some ZJ questions.

well alright guys im going to end up buying a jeep here pretty soon and i have been researching for quite some time now on the different types. Now, i originally looked at a YJ but being i have a kid and all there just isnt much room for friends and when the time comes where i take my son out with me on some adventures there really wont be alot of room at all.
Now keep in mind that this vehicle will be somewhat of a DD however i will not hesitate to take it on trails on the weekends, as thats the main reason im buying one. Now i looked at the XJ and the ZJ and i like the ZJ alot more for the stylish interiors (have to please the wife too ).
Now if i where to get one my plan will be a 4" susp lift with a 2" coil spacer lift to give me roughly 6"s of total lift and im hoping that will give me enough room to clear 33" tires.
Someone let me know on that statement and inform me please.
Now with that kind of lift i know i will need a SYE or end up with a shattered T-case so in that case i will get an SYE kit and then proceed with a new DS.
On that statement i would like to ask if i will need a Front and/or rear DS?, where can i find one or both?, and where can i find an SYE for it?.
Also i would like to ask about gears, and what would you personally recommend for 33's and a partial dd vehicle?, also lockers? if you would recomend or just say wheel it like it is and see if i need one?.
I should clairfy when i do go wheeling it wont be doing hardcore trails maybe a 2.5 to 3 MAX!, i like moderate trails to go camping on alot aswell as the more interesting trails to just have fun on.
I noticed i worded some of those questions kinda wierd but oh well, thanks!

Well thanks guys and ill be waiting for your responses.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

vehicle specifics such as engine,t-case,axles etc?. you will be in for alot more work than what your saying for 6"s of lift. if your gonna do it i would get a whole LA kit,cause 4" coils sitting on spacers with short arms on 33"s is gonna be rough. I would recommend sticking to 4" if it's gonna be a DD,you can still have your 33"s, with trimming,and it will require less work,parts and money and hold off on lockers until you need them,
Old 01-26-2009, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by seed
vehicle specifics such as engine,t-case,axles etc?. you will be in for alot more work than what your saying for 6"s of lift. if your gonna do it i would get a whole LA kit,cause 4" coils sitting on spacers with short arms on 33"s is gonna be rough. I would recommend sticking to 4" if it's gonna be a DD,you can still have your 33"s, with trimming,and it will require less work,parts and money and hold off on lockers until you need them,
alright i see what your saying that it would put unnecessary stress on the arms and such?? i was wondering about that. so a 4" with 33"s. so say with a 4" what about driveline issues? are there any or if so what should i do about that? and also with that setup it would still be a capable trail rig/ dd correct??
Old 01-26-2009, 10:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

it's tough to fit 33's on a zj. but with 6 inches of lift, it may work.
it's gonna take a lot of work and some fender trimming.
with that much lift, you may consider going long arms.
also, adj track bar, drop pitman arm with steering upgrade.
look for one with a command trac (231) t-case. best available aftermarket service. and only real SYE kit available. 242 and 249 has no SYE kit available. only hack n tap. not your best choice.

you can probably fit 33's on the cheap, you'll have to do a lot of research.
i know you can do a front to rear coil swap and fit 4.5 inch coils in the front, but you may still need the adj track bar, etc.

problem is, 33's will still rub on the inner fender on passenger side.

parts are far more plentiful for an xj tho....
Old 01-26-2009, 11:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee

Originally Posted by lfaf
alright i see what your saying that it would put unnecessary stress on the arms and such?? i was wondering about that. so a 4" with 33"s. so say with a 4" what about driveline issues? are there any or if so what should i do about that? and also with that setup it would still be a capable trail rig/ dd correct??
yea,at 6" your stock arms would be maxed out...i've seen many guys run 33's with a 4" but you will have to trim, driveline issues,well, lift it and see alot of the time at 4" you'll be alright...sure it would be capable you won't have tons of flex but...i would check out some lift companies,i know rough country has the 4" complete kit and iron rock has a cheap 3.5 F>R swap kit,this is where you take your front coils and move them to the back then put their new coils in front,nets you about 3.5 to 4"
Old 01-26-2009, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by seed
yea,at 6" your stock arms would be maxed out...i've seen many guys run 33's with a 4" but you will have to trim, driveline issues,well, lift it and see alot of the time at 4" you'll be alright...sure it would be capable you won't have tons of flex but...i would check out some lift companies,i know rough country has the 4" complete kit and iron rock has a cheap 3.5 F>R swap kit,this is where you take your front coils and move them to the back then put their new coils in front,nets you about 3.5 to 4"
Ok i actually was looking into the RC 4". Also after looking around i think ill just get some 32"s possibly, and as for flex well im not extremely worried about flex as im going to stick to more trails than anything else you know?
Old 01-26-2009, 11:44 PM

oh and i keep forgetting to add i will be getting a 6cyl