Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

shifting problem???

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 94
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l i6
Default shifting problem???

Hey i just bought this jeep. It is a 94 zj 4.0 awd. Auto trans i believe 42re? The problem is it seems as it might be stuck in a higher gear off the line.. it has no power and takes for ever to get to speed.. if i shift manually it is fine.. i have replaced the output speed sensor and the tcm.. no change.. i just discovered the kickdown cable tonight known as the throttle valve cable to some.. i am goin to adjust it in the morning but lookin for any other advice on it. Any other sensors it might be or band adj.? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:28 PM

Year: 1992 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Probably the governor and od/tcc solenoids need replacing. Pretty easy to do on your own, several good videos on YouTube showing step by step instructions. Probably around $200 for a kit with everything you need except fluid.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:47 PM

Year: 94
Engine: 4.0l i6

Thanks man i was thinkin that too.. i did adjust the tv cable a bit and it is doin awsome now.. might be a little tight i think cuz it takes a long time to shift to 3rd now and it downshifts if i barley touch the gas lol.. better then no sfifting lol
Old 06-28-2012, 12:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 94 purple zj
Thanks man i was thinkin that too.. i did adjust the tv cable a bit and it is doin awsome now.. might be a little tight i think cuz it takes a long time to shift to 3rd now and it downshifts if i barley touch the gas lol.. better then no sfifting lol
Be careful with that TV cable adj. If it's not exactly spot on, you'll ruin the tranny. Don't want to scare you, just don't want it to happen to you. Transmissions are a pretty sensitive thing.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 95
Engine: 4.0

T/V cable adjusment can be important but its much more harmful to have it loose and upshifting too early. Setting it up a little tight is what most people would probably prefer, especially offroading. You really wont have any problems with a tight cable at factory line pressure specs but too tight you might notice a harsh engagement or harsh shifting, along with holding gears too long before upshifts and sensitive downshifts.

If the cable is too loose (low T/V pressure) you could eventually cause clutches to slip and burn up. If the cable is too loose you will notice upshifts happen too soon and excessive throttle to downshift, along with slip shifts or a shift flare.

If you still have 3rd gear starts then check for codes, a very common problem for this symptom is the governor pressure sensor and governor solenoid (replace is pairs is suggested). The gov sensor and solenoid are mounted side by side on a little block that mounts to the valve body. Easy to replace after dropping the pan. You might consider changing the filter and checking the low/rev band adjusment if you gotta drop the pan.