Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Security Lights and horn

Old 08-20-2010, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Security Lights and horn

Two days ago i tried starting my 93 Grand Cherokee, it failed the first time, then on the second attempt it started right up. After that first attempt and failure, my headlights started flashing, my "security" dummy light and brights symbol started flashing. My indoor lighting also stayed on regardless of whether or not any doors were open. I removed fuses 5 and 7 in order to deactivate the security relay system and the indoor lighting and everything was fine for a night.

The next morning, whilst driving to school, the horn would honk randomly, in a 6 minute drive it only honked three times. On my way home, everything was fine and i figured whatever electrical problem there was, it had fixed itself. This morning, August the 20th, the horn honked once on my morning drive. On my way home I dropped a friend off at his house, 10 miles out of the way and when i was returning home, within a mile of home my horn just continually stayed on. I kept driving home and when i got to my house, after turning off the car and the hoking ceased, i tried turning it back on to see if it would honk any more. the engine wouldn't turn, it sounded like a low battery. 20 minutes later, my jeep started, with hesitation, but it still started. now im worried ive just been fixing the warnings of a much greater problem.

I talked to the previous owner and he suggested i just disconnect the security system all together because thats what gave him the most trouble when he owned it, and he suspects that the security system is what is causing my troubles now.

Do any of you have better suggestions as to what the problem may be, because I feel that disconnecting the security system may just be further denial of real problems with the jeep.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

i disconnected the horn, so i can drive it around without honking at everybody, and now the airbag light is on