Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Replacing Rear Lower Control Arms 01' GC

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Replacing Rear Lower Control Arms 01' GC

Hi Guys,

How difficult is it to replace the Rear lower control arms on a 01' Grand Cherokee Limited? Bushings are bad and the shop wants an astronomical price to replace. So going to tackle it myself. Just did all 4 shocks and install went smooth. Any advice on replacing the Rear lower control arms and can I do it with out jacking up the vehicle?

Thanks in Advance
Old 11-27-2011, 05:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by sammyt74dp
Hi Guys,

How difficult is it to replace the Rear lower control arms on a 01' Grand Cherokee Limited? Bushings are bad and the shop wants an astronomical price to replace. So going to tackle it myself. Just did all 4 shocks and install went smooth. Any advice on replacing the Rear lower control arms and can I do it with out jacking up the vehicle?

Thanks in Advance
I have not done my WJ yet, but in my TJ it was extremely easy (while doing my lift) and should be the same, remove two bolts and drop the arm out, put new arm in (or replace the bad bushings - which is a pain to press out/in) and bolt back up. Should not take more than 1 hour tops.

I may be wrong but I think I did read somewhere that you needed to drop the exhaust to get one of the rear bolts out, but I could be wrong. And where I read it I think they instead just cut the bolt to get it out and put a new one in the other way when it went back together.

Regarding jacking it up, it might not be needed but sure would help - especially if you need to move the axle around to get the bolt back in.

If you ask around you may find some stock ones that someone has left over after lifting their WJ.

PS: I would hit the bolts with some penetrating oil first and let sit overnight.

Bryan

Last edited by bryweb; 11-27-2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:30 PM

Great..Thanks! Just didn't want to get the Arm off and then struggle to get it to line back up to the bolt holes. I'll let everyone know how it goes.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:55 PM

Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7
Thumbs down

WJ
i cant get the front bolt backin.control arm , wont line up its just off

Originally Posted by sammyt74dp
Great..Thanks! Just didn't want to get the Arm off and then struggle to get it to line back up to the bolt holes. I'll let everyone know how it goes.