Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Rebuilt my alternator today.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 04:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: v8
Default Rebuilt my alternator today.

Was surprisingly simple. The Nippondenso alternator at the parts house runs about $160. The kit was $40.

No special tools were needed. I used a two jaw puller to push the shaft out of the rear bearing, and a big socket to bang the new bearings back in.

No parts left over, and it works as it should.

Only took one beer, and I barely got dirty.

It was the first time I have cracked an alternator open, and I kind of wish I had looked into this 20 years ago.
Old 05-27-2017, 04:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Engine: 4.7

Good job. I used to rebuild "generators". But I have not even thought of looking into an alternator.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:25 PM
Seasoned Member

I used these guys

http://www.aspwholesale.com/

I was impressed with the price, so I didn't look around much more. There might be better options, but I am happy. I just drove to the corner store after dark, and am pretty happy that my "needle is pointing up" like the gauges all do on a properly running Jeep.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Engine: 4.7

What a timely discussion. I got into my Jeep the other day and saw that my alt wasn't charging. I had been messing around under the battery a week earlier thought I had messed up the temp sensor. I went back under there and cleaned out the connection and put it back together. Re-tested and it was charging at 13.8. But it quickly went back to below 12. I thought it may be the alt this time and gave it a whack. Its charging at 13.8 again, but I don't trust it. Around here a rebuilt Denso is $180.. I had a hell of a time finding brushes/rebuild kit. None of the parts places had either. I found the brushes on EBAY for 8 bucks. Should be here by Saturday. I haven't cracked it open yet to look at the brushes. I don't have a puller so I am just gonna do the brushes and see if that makes it. Can't even get one rebuilt around here anymore.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:14 AM
Seasoned Member

I am glad I could help! The cover nuts are rounded over, but are in fact 7mm acorn nuts.

Mine was doing the exact same thing. The brushes were worn to the point that they were just barely making contact.

You can get by without a puller on this. I only used mine because it was the right tool for the job and it was right at hand.

placing a socket over the end of the shaft and tapping it with a hammer would have worked just as well on this application, as it wasn't really tight fit.