Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Rear axle bearing change

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 06:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L
Default Rear axle bearing change

Yesterday, finally had the time to play around my ZJ, and changed the rear axle bearings, that were very noisy and bothering me for a long time. I write this post as help if anyone is planning to do this at home. It's not really difficult, it only takes a really GOOD inside bearing remover tool. (mine turned out to be crap)
First thing is to open the dif cover, and remove the screw holding the axle of the two small wheels. Normaly according to my service manual, it should have been a hexagonal head, but it was a simple cross head with no room for the screwdriver, so it took me for a while to remove it. After the screw is out the small shaft can be easily pushed out. After removing the wheel, the caliber and the brake disc, the axle can be pushed in the dif a little bit, so the C washer can be removed, and the axle is out without any trouble.
Attached Thumbnails Rear axle bearing change-dsc_2968-1-.jpg   Rear axle bearing change-dsc_2970-1-.jpg  
Old 10-05-2014, 06:13 AM

Here comes the funny part. to remove the sealing, was nothing, just had to force it out with a flat screw driver around. But the bearing was glued in for some reason, so I had to heat it up, it broke while I was pulling it out with the tool, and finally after breaking my bearing remover, with a second one I managed to pull it out. Pushing back the new bearing went smooth, I used the old one as a tool.
Attached Thumbnails Rear axle bearing change-dsc_2971-1-.jpg  
Old 10-05-2014, 06:18 AM

After cleaning the dif cover and assembling everything together, I sealed the cover and filled back the oil. Now it runs smooth, and quiet finally.
Attached Thumbnails Rear axle bearing change-dsc_2975-1-.jpg   Rear axle bearing change-dsc_2976-1-.jpg