Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Random MisFire Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L 2005

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 10:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L 6 CYL
Default Random MisFire Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L 2005

This has been one of the biggest headaches of my entire life besides of course family deaths etc.

The Jeep is a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L V8, 4 door, and 2WD no 4x4

I went to reputable local jeep dealership and was looking for a used car after my car was totaled by an illegal immigrant who was driving without a license and had some shady insurance. He ruined my completely fine 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee that ran fine. Not a single problem. I got 2 grand back from it so I was obviously going to have to fork over some cash to get a decent car again.

I set my limit at 7k and went to this dealership and found a really nice looking Jeep Grand Cherokee with power everything and a V8. No 4x4 but honestly at that point it didn't matter to me I needed a car and was paying out of pocket for a rental hoping to get reimbursed by this guys shady insurance afterwards.

I purchased the vehicle for 10,000$. It was listed for 7500. They nailed me with dealer fees and a buncha other bull****. I paid cash upfront. I was told I was unable to take the car home that day because they needed to do a full inspection. This raised a flag for me but I thought ok let them do the inspection.

I came by I think 2 days later and picked up the car. The car ran fine and was just what I wanted. Then the engine light came on. I was shocked. I instantly called the dealership and told them the engine light came on and they said bring it in. So I brought it into the shop and I was given a rental. They called me a week later and said after resetting the codes they couldn't get them to turn back on. So right after that I get the car and that exact same day the light flashes back on. WOW. I call again and by this time I am being ducked and dodged left and right. I was told I didn't have a warranty ETC ETC ETC. I hooked up my computer to the dash and it said it wouldn't even pass emissions so I used this as my leverage to get the car fixed.

So I dropped the car off at the place and didn't hear back from them for a month. (REALLY). I had a rental the entire time so I didn't care. I got my jeep back finally and everything seemed on the up and up until once again the light flashed back on. On top of that the gas tank wouldn't allow me to fill up and was building up pressure. I could put 1 gallon in and it would stop. I did the same thing called again brought it back and this time they will replace the cylinder heads. So I come to pick it up after they fixed this "issue" p0300 Random generic missfire. and I was basically financially strong armed. It was either sign this document saying you will not slander our name or post about your experience or pay a whopping 4600$$$!!
I obviously signed the paper because at this point I didn't care about bashing them I wanted a running vehicle. They also included a warranty for 3 months and I can't even tell you how many times I brought that damn thing back. So now I get a letter in the mail saying my tags have been expired for 2 months. WOW. I didn't get a letter in the mail, and don't bother to look at my plates because I'm so damn busy.

At this point I have a solid engine light and my 3 month warranty is over. The code that is showing is the P0300 and P0307 which corresponds to a random misfire and a random misfire on cylinder 7. Now I need to get my emission done to get my tags and this thing won't pass emissions says my computer. It shows up as a red dot on the emissions test. GREAT.

They replaced one cylinder head the right side and reset the codes and said they rode it for 80 miles with no issues. Now this was months ago back when they had me sign the pay or sign paper. So I'm assuming that the Left Cylinder head is messed up too.

what I need to know is which side is which based on the jeep. Does the right side mean the driver side when facing directly in front of the car or does it mean the passenger side. I can't seem to find this out and I'm pretty furious at this ****ty situation I'm in. Every time I brought the Jeep in they simply reset the codes and told me it was fine. I was lied to and tricked into buying a car with an obvious cylinder head malfunction. It didn't happen overnight. \

I've tried a lot of things and at this point I'm going to order and replace the other cylinder head they didn't replace myself. I'm just not sure if cylinder 7 is located. If someone has an image or possibly can use paint to draw a diagram where the odd numbers will be that would be great.

You'd think they would have replaced both cylinder heads but nope. I still can't believe that they never fixed the problem and just kept resetting the codes. I really got screwed with this one. From the outside she looks beautiful with only 77k miles on her but inside that engine there's some serious issues.

Anyone I would greatly appreciate the help. As of now I have to drive it with a temporary tag and only got 30 days.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

Cyl 7 is farthest back left side facing car. I myself have a misfire but no codes with high NOx on emissions. In my case I will be replacing crank sensor as jeeps have been known NOT to throw a code for the sensor (crank) unless they go completely out, by then the car just stalls or will not start. Good luck.