Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!
Old 09-10-2015, 03:38 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Problems by Sympton
Print Wikipost

Power Steering Blowing Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8
Default Power Steering Blowing Fluid

I recently bought a 1999 Jeep GC that didn't turn to the right... got it home and paid a shop to replace the power steering gear and pump. Soon afterwards I noticed all the hoses were blowing fluid at the fittings!!! So I replaced the high pressure hose myself, then took it to the dealership to have the lower hose replaced (this is a dealer only part). It still blows fluid straight up the fittings! Not at the threads, but around the pipe coming out of the fittings, as if the O-ring isn't sealing. It blows fluid all over my engine and alternator and I have to fill it each morning.

I can't take it back to the shop as I've relocated to another state.

What am I missing? All parts are new (AutoZone), steering gear, pump, and both hoses. No amount of looseness or tightness on the fittings will cure it. I almost believe something is stopped up in the steering gear, but what could it be? What have I missed?

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Old 02-09-2011, 09:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

The dealer let it go like that? Take it back to them.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

I believe what happened was who ever did the pump b4 hand either stripped the threads in the pump a tad, or the threads were cut wrong in the pump to begin with. you are threading it in, it gets tight, but if the threads arent cut right the flare on the hose isnt going to seal up in the pump.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:16 AM

It still blows fluid straight up the fittings! Not at the threads, but around the pipe coming out of the fittings, as if the O-ring isn't sealing. It blows fluid all over my engine and alternator and I have to fill it each morning.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

The flare nuts may be all cross threaded and boogered up and not allowing you to get them tight enough to compress the oring and seal the line.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:21 PM

I forgot to mention, the fluid is blowing out of the fittings at the power steering pump and the steering gear, and the pump and gear were replaced at the same time. The garage doing the work put the old hoses on and they leaked - I grabbed one of the hoses and it was loose and could be turned, so I tightened and it didn't help, then I replaced both hoses new myself, and same problem. I'll post a pic shortly: Here's my question:

Would it help to use a tap and deepen the threaded holes some so the aluminum nuts could go deeper and seal better? One thing I've noticed upon disassembly is that the O-rings look mashed, indicating that they are being compressed.

Thanks for all the advice...
Old 02-10-2011, 05:48 PM

Below are some pics of the issue. I called Cardone tech support and the representative said there was air trapped in the system, and the bleeding procedure was to jack the front end off the ground, engine off, then turn the steering wheel 20 times L to R. Next, start the engine and repeat the procedure.

Could air in the system really cause this extreme an issue? It operates OK otherwise.
Attached Thumbnails Power Steering Blowing Fluid-99-jeep-gc-v8-blowing-fluid-i.jpg   Power Steering Blowing Fluid-99-jeep-gc-v8-blowing-fluid-ii.jpg  
Old 02-10-2011, 06:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2

Do you know if it is a o-ring or teflon seal? I know teflon was big with fords, but not sure bout jeeps. If teflon IT HAS to be replaced PROPERY EVERY time the hose is removed.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:11 PM

Thanks tiwvr1 - they are O-rings, and I've attached a couple pics that I took 2 weeks ago when I began working on it myself after it came back from the shop and leaked. The factory fittings seemed to have more of a taper to them, almost a bell mouth, and the new fittings didn't, and it concerned me.

I checked AutoZone website and they sell an O-ring kit of different sizes and I think I should buy it and replace the O-rings this weekend, and perform the bleed procedure described by Cardone tech support. Maybe even hope I have an O-ring a bit thicker and install it instead.

Thanks for the advice, and I'll keep the forum posted and hope I help others with this. I'm pretty frustrated with having to fill the fluid every morning, and sometimes the steering wheel seems frozen for a few startup minutes.
Attached Thumbnails Power Steering Blowing Fluid-new-hose-fitting.jpg   Power Steering Blowing Fluid-power-steering-issues-ii.jpg  
Old 02-10-2011, 09:44 PM

Taking a look at your pics, it seems you have different fittings on the new hoses. Are you sure they are the right hoses? My guess, and not being there to get a better look, is it may be the wrong hoses or worst yet the wrong pump. Don't mean to alarm, just a guess...
Where was the leak coming from before you had things replaced?
Old 02-12-2011, 11:24 PM

Update: Being frustrated I took it to a Saturday shop today, and they diagnosed the power steering pump as leaking around the shaft. They couldn't fix it until next week and estimated $450 - so I went and bought one and spent the day installing it.

The only thing I can think of is the previous shop didn't have the tool to install the pulley and simply pressed or beat it on, damaging the pump. Or maybe it was defective to begin with. I installed a new pulley that had a tough intereference fit using a 3/8-16 long bolt and a socket with a base diameter to fit the pulley metal face. Drove it 30 miles, checked the fluid and it's holding with zero foam.

Bottom line to share with the group: Buy or rent the proper tool to install the pulley, and use your own reservoir. The new reservoir provided with the new pump had the return elbow incorrectly located. Don't even worry about bleeding it, just fill the reservoir and crank up, fill again. Once the airbox is completely removed it's not too hard of a DIY job.