Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

please help crazy vibs after 35mph

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default please help crazy vibs after 35mph

ok here it goes. 94 zj lifted 5inchs all wheel drive. fresh lift. front to rear lift with 2inch spacers. 1 5/16 t-case drop. adj track bar iro. rough country front control arms.(bushings are bad) iro control arms for the front will be here end of week.. tie rods are all brand new. ball joints are good. my pinion angles are perfect. my track bar and drag link are pairell tires are dead on ballanced.

heres the problem. after 35mph my truck shakes like crazy. and when i slow down to a stop you can here a rubbing noise sounds like gears clicking together.

my question will new control arms with good bushings and a allignment solve these problems? or do i have other problems? after i put the new control arms on and allign it if it does the same thing then im completely out of ideas any help would be vary helpful please and thank you.

p.s. after i did the lift it was fine with no problems with stock tires on. this problem didnt come about till after i put my 31's on. and the lift has been on for 5 days mt 31's have been on for 3 days. dont know if that helps the second the 31's went on this problem started. ive rotated the tires as well and re ballanced them to make sure it wasnt the wheels.

:icon _confused::co nfused1::he lp:
Old 01-31-2012, 03:55 PM

Anybody?
Old 01-31-2012, 04:04 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L

Sye?
Old 01-31-2012, 05:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 96 Limited ZJ
Engine: 5.2 w/mods

You said the bushings are bad. That could be the problem. Did you ever get an alignment after lifting it? Your front drive shaft maybe the culprit also.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:33 PM

No Sye . T case is dropped like I said pinions are good and no I haven't aligned it yet just cause I'm waiting on my control arms. If the alignment is off will that cause the front drive shaft to vibe like it is? The whole truck vibes from the front end. But like I said too it didn't happen till I changed the tires from stock to 31's . Then vibes like crazy so I stoles the t case and it helped alot but still bad. So my question is will the new control arms and alignment fix this?
Old 01-31-2012, 08:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 96 Limited ZJ
Engine: 5.2 w/mods

An alignment will probably fix it alone. You should always get an alignment after lifting the vehicle. It throws the front geometry off enough to make it a headache.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:11 PM

tires balanced? this could cause vibes. alignment will also help some. control arm bushing being shot, dont think that those would cause a large scale vibes like you are saying. more of a clunking noise and slight wobble on the front end

do you feel the vibes in the front or rear?
Old 01-31-2012, 08:21 PM

Tires are balanced and rotated and rebalanced. The front vibes and vibes the whole truck. Best way to describe the vibes are take tsl boggers brand new like 36's and try to go 80mph with them that's how the vibes feel like. So does everyone think its a combo between my alignment being off and bad bushings in both my lower control arms and when I say bad I mean a 1/2" of movement in the control arms when u rock the truck back and forth.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by jkustomz28
Tires are balanced and rotated and rebalanced. The front vibes and vibes the whole truck. Best way to describe the vibes are take tsl boggers brand new like 36's and try to go 80mph with them that's how the vibes feel like. So does everyone think its a combo between my alignment being off and bad bushings in both my lower control arms and when I say bad I mean a 1/2" of movement in the control arms when u rock the truck back and forth.
thats a ton of movement on the control arms. bet thats the issue. also check the trackbar bushings and caster. report back once the bushings are new!
Old 01-31-2012, 08:29 PM

Kk. My control arms should be here Saturday at the latest as soon as they get here they're going on and its going for alignment. And track bar is brand new Iro adjustable.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:32 PM

The caster should be set with alignment right? I know on the driver side the caster washer is facing down and facing up on the passenger side. Also why did this start happening with the bigger tires and not the stock tires? Is it just cause the bigger tires grab more road and u feel it more?
Old 01-31-2012, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by jkustomz28
The caster should be set with alignment right? I know on the driver side the caster washer is facing down and facing up on the passenger side. Also why did this start happening with the bigger tires and not the stock tires? Is it just cause the bigger tires grab more road and u feel it more?
a good shop will adjust your caster, i have seem some not though. why did it start happening? good question. could be from a larger foot print like you said, extra weight of the tire, and sometimes just a fluke.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:43 PM

Well I know its a dam headache I'm racking my brain with this. Any more suggestions keep them coming ill report back as soon as control arms and alignment is done. Thanks for all the help." JEEP" "Just Empty Every Pocket"
Old 02-02-2012, 06:32 PM

ok news update front end alignment is done and good everything in front end is new. vibes are still there but better.

my front tires are 265/75 and the rear are 31x10.5
its all wheel drive all the time

could it be the tires causeing the vibes?

it never did this with the stock tires and sugestions?
Old 02-02-2012, 08:26 PM

Anybody have any more suggestions?

Quick Reply: please help crazy vibs after 35mph