Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Over heating trouble part II - Possible Dx but need some input

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Over heating trouble part II - Possible Dx but need some input

Okay, I thought towing my trailer was what was causing my jeep to over heat, however today it began over heating just driving around town.

So... I noticed it only happens when the jeep is not moving, either parked idling, or sitting at a light, etc... I read and thought it might be the fan relay, as I noticed the fan wouldn't turn on at all, no matter what the temp of the vehicle was.

Well, I removed the headlight, drilled two holes as instructed and found I don't have a fan relay installed? Not sure why, because even the hanes manual says I should have one... It states, "All 1999 and newer models have the relay located beneath the passenger side headlight." I can see the mounting holes, however there isn't any wire or relay there.

So I then checked the fuses/relays in the engine compartment and they checked fine. So I topped off the fluid just to make sure and let the jeep idle. I then noticed the fan was operating as normal, then suddenly stopped. From that point on I couldn't get it to turn on again. All that kept occuring was it clicking when it should be switching from HI/LOW speed.

I'm assuming I need a new fan since I can't find the relay, is this a good assumption?

While I'm replacing should I check and see if there is a performance rated fan since I am hauling a pretty heavy trailer on a regular basis?

Thanks for your help, and sorry for the long post!!!
Old 07-19-2009, 10:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Do you have an electric fan? Some 99's will have a mechanical fan,therefore no relay. If you have a mechanical fan the clutch is probably shot.

If you do have an e-fan hook it directly to the battery and see if it spins if it does, turn off the jeep and spin it by hand if it is extremely easy to spin it's shot. If it doesn't spin,it's shot as well
Old 07-20-2009, 09:40 AM

I've got an electrical fan, and I have a 2004 Cherokee. It is really easy to spin. I'll hook it up to a battery and see what happens
Old 07-20-2009, 11:16 AM

ok,i didn't know the year cause you didn't say. You looked here... http://rigs.corequipment.com/cebby_W...ling.htm#relay

If the fan just spins very easily it's probably on it's way out. It should only make a couple of revolutions when spun by hand. I would bet since it's hot only when idleing but you've seen the fan sporatically spin,it's about done.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:57 PM

Yup, that's the place I checked. Nothing there. I called the dealer and they said to look either on the radiator frame, or passenger side curtain...

I've checked both of those locations and don't see anything.

Another question, the dealer wants around $375 for the new fan assembly, is that the only option? I checked with Autozone, Advance Auto Parts, etc... and they appear to sell just the motor, however after reading in the hanes manual and online, it looks as though the only way to do it is replace the entire assembly...

Any advice is appreciated.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:11 PM

hmmm..is there a "low speed fan relay" and a "high speed fan relay" in your PDC,under the hood?

I bought a complete dorman replacement fan at my local parts store for $125