Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

over heating issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default over heating issue

I have had this jeep for comming up on three years now and i have had little to no problems with it, i replaced the radiator and thermostat once before and it ran fine afterwards and i did everything the same, only difference was that this time it was in cold weather and last time it was in the summer in august.
My jeep is a 99 4.7l v8. I replaced the thermostat 2 times new radiator 2 times the stock one lost the drain plug and the second one was cracked on the radiator filler neck. The heat has never worked, the car has over 110,000 miles on it. I started work right before it started to get REAL cold november early december, and i was running straight water so before it was cold enough to freese i drained it all and removed the radiator, how ever while i was doing other work i noticed that the thermostat was frozen in a block on ice inside the housing. I thought nothing of it and refilled the system and let it warm up, it got to operating temperature and stabilized about 20 degreese over 210 then if you take it out and drive or leave it idle too long it overheats. Ive had people tell me its the heatercore thats clogged and causing restriction in the system, i just dont think that would be an issue if it has never worked before. So i replaced the thermostat again and it did the same exact thing so i bled it, and bled it and bled it and still noting, so its sat since early december. I realy need my truck back for work and this snow so any sugestions i am eager to hear. The only things on the cooling system i havent changed for new parts are the upper and lower hoses because they are still good and the water pump other than that everything is new. A little side note as well i noticed that when i was bleeding the system after i had the bleeder screw opened and closed many many times it started to seep out of the threaded bore between the bleeder screw housing and the bleeder screw. I checked the oil (via the dip stick, I did not drop the pan or drain oil.) for antifreeze and saw none, oil looked good. The coolant levels look good. please help.

Again any help is useful! thank you.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:42 PM

I just saw on another thread that these engines have plastic waterpump implellers so that may be the issue how ever the water is still circulating thorough the system enough to get to the bleed screw.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

In all seriousness, you need to edit your post to use paragraphs. I came into this thread with the thought of helping you, but I can't get through your post.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:20 PM

hows your fan shroud i had an overheating issue with a friends I6 and went thru everything heater core water pump radiator to find out just with the bottom half of the shroud missing it was causing the over heating issue