Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Over head compass and MPG reset issues.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0L IL 6 cylinder
Default Over head compass and MPG reset issues.

Hey yaal, I got a 1997 ZJ. It has the over head compass. But my compass only wants to read NE E and SE I tried to calibrate it by putting it in variable mode but it is still not showing other directions, in the photo the jeep is facing straight Soutg .Also when I reset the trip counter for it mpg and time driven by holding down step and US/M button, It will reset the gauges just fine but they return to 722.2 miles and 13.7 mpg when i restart the car. Is there a way to permenantly reset this? I looked through the forms and found stuff on resetting the compass but it only fixes it while the car is on. Once I turn it off and then back on it goes back to what it was before and I would like to use this feature and only reset it when I fill up my gas tank.
​​​​​

Old 12-16-2018, 07:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

I don't know. I have a 95 with the long overhead console. I also have the instructions how to change the settings. However Jeep has instruction for specific parts of the overhead console depending on which FSMs you have.

I have a nearly complete set of paper manuals (for a 95) that includes the main FSM with some infor of different areas of the overhead console. The Body Diagnostic Procedures manual has more (other) information with troubleshooting procedures and diagrams.

I had an overhead console where the display didn't work, completely blank. So I went to the JY and found another overhead console, installed it and setup the compass. I remember setting up the trip meter with setting options effecting mpg?

I let it go for a while didn't bother completing or double checking any of the settings. The last time I tried to get back into the settings I wasn't able to. For some reason holding buttons and turning the ign. from off to on I'm unable to get back into the settings.

The compass is set and settings for the trip meter, but the overhead console isn't responding while trying to get enter the configuration settings.

I haven't had time to perform any testing from the Body Diagnostic Procedures manual. It does have diagnostic procedures with diagrams for when the console display isn't working and as well as other diagnostic procedures for various functions of the overhead console.

The problem is the Diagnostic Procedures manuals are designed around the DRB scanner. If no scanner you can attempt to perform some test procedures using a DMM, however much of the diagnostic relies heavily on a DRB scanner.

The Body Diagnostic Manual has "General Troubleshooting" for Identifying problems with Mini-Trip Module.
It list error messages where the display shows "Fail", "CCD" or blank. Incorrect, wrong items --- "ET" (estimated time), "AVE ECO" (ave. mpg), "ECO" (fuel economy), ODO (odometer), "DTE" (dist to empty),

So far I haven't come across anything about not being able to save settings.

The only thing I can remember off-hand is the main FSM has information about setting and troubleshooting the Compass, including magnetic problems but the information is limited. I'm wondering perhaps Jeep has other manuals with more specific information and diagnostics.

There ares some procedure for demagnetization, perhaps somethings interfering with the compass which needs to be set for a specific zone. FSM states, If the vehicles roof should become magnetized, demagnetizing calibration procedures may be required to restore proper operation.

Which I think may require a De Gauser - Demagnetizer tool to demagnetize the roof and forward of the console.

Last edited by Muddz; 12-17-2018 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L IL 6 cylinder

So I was able to figure out how to reset the compass.. on the direction/tempurature screen press and hold step and US/M bottom for ten seconds. Then I will show a screen with a number and VAR below. There are variable charts found on Google for the compass magnetism. Depending on where you are in the us you have to choose your zone. If you press and hold those two buttons again for another 10 seconds it will go back to the original screen, but it will also have CAL lit up at the bottom as well. U you then have to drive 3 complete circles counterclockwise to recalibrate the compass.

The issue I am having is when I turn the vehicle off it resets everything that I just did. and reverts back to the settings shown in the pictures above. How do I make my resets and recalibrations permanent?