Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Only reaches 2000 rpm

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Only reaches 2000 rpm

When accelarating my Jeep reaches 2k rpm then seems to hit what feels like a limiter, nd anything above that takes a lifetime to accelerate. In 5th I can just top 60mph. Any ideas?

This only happened after the recent problems with cutting out, found that the gasket in the fuel filter chamber was leaking and the chamber was empty. Ran a bypass for 30 miles or so then fixed (needed to travel to get parts). It started happening when the bypass was on.

Feels like a lack of fuel, or air. Checked as many hoses as I can on the surface and all seem to be connected ok. And it's pretty much bang on 2000 revs when it happens.

In neutral it revs fine.

Somebody mentioned something about a 'limp home mode' that needs to be reset in the ECU? Or is that just guff!?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Old 02-23-2008, 11:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

could be a collapsed exhaust or cat.

kick the catylitic converter and see if it makes a rattling noise.

do you take it offroad? hit any deep water lately?
Old 02-23-2008, 12:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by grandscotscherokee
Somebody mentioned something about a 'limp home mode' that needs to be reset in the ECU? Or is that just guff!?

Limp mode may be an option(and is not guff). It's a mode that the tranny puts itself into because it senses a problem and is preventing further damage.

Have you pulled codes yet? Instructions and codes: http://www.wjjeeps.com/faultcodes.htm

Check your codes and update what you find and we'll go from there.

Oh, and please fill out your signature so we all know what year, motor, T.C we are working with... there's no such thing as too much information.

Last edited by UUJ1; 02-23-2008 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2003
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L, 63mm TB, FIPK, Gibson Exhaust

please post any codes then we can help you. You can get codes by turning the key on and off fairly rapidly 3 times, the 4th time on it will give you the codes in the odometer inthe dash. You have to do it pretty fast and only off to on not to start.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:40 PM

Unhappy

It just has '55' and 'check engine light' is flashing once i turn on and off 3 1/2 times. Looked for it in teh above links codes but couldnt see it.

Hope 55 aint too bad
Old 02-23-2008, 02:54 PM
Seasoned Member

It just has '55' and 'check engine light' is flashing once i turn on and off 3 1/2 times. Looked for it in teh above links codes but couldnt see it.

Hope 55 aint too bad
55 is end of codes so it has nothing stored, you could also go to an autozone and they can read it for you to see if it has somehting stored it can not display.

Did you hit the catalytic converter to see if it rattles? If there are no codes then that is our most likely culprit.

By the way give us some details, engine, year, etc
Old 02-24-2008, 03:52 AM

Default Cat

Checked the cat, nothing rattling. Surely if it was the cat it would restrict revs in neutral too?

At a loose end now, might have to bite the bullet and put it in a garage
Old 02-24-2008, 08:44 AM
Seasoned Member

Checked the cat, nothing rattling. Surely if it was the cat it would restrict revs in neutral too?

At a loose end now, might have to bite the bullet and put it in a garage
An engine can behave quite differently under load versus with no load. Things to check are Fuel, air, and spark. You are having problems with one of these at speed.

Just saw you have a desiel, that is a whole different story. Gonna need someone other than me to help on desiel issues, sorry, and good luck.

Last edited by tsconver; 02-24-2008 at 08:46 AM.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:08 PM

how would I go about finding out if its in limp mode? Would it not pull a code if it was?
Old 02-26-2008, 11:47 AM

Talking Sorted!

Possibilities according to various forums, the Jeep garage and a few TD experts speculated to:

Fuel sensor not allowing enough fuel to the other injectors
Fuel pump - a new one over here is £2500!! (about $5000)
Air hose somewhere

simple (once you know what it is) answer - airflow sensor damaged, tried it unplugged and on - no difference. Took apart, cleaned, back on and off we go.

Total cost of repair - £21 for a new fuel filter (whihc i didnt really need!

Thanks for all your help
Old 02-26-2008, 11:50 AM
Seasoned Member

Fuel pump - a new one over here is £2500!! (about $5000)
I can NOT believe this!
Old 02-27-2008, 03:39 AM

honestly! Even the service manager unofficially recommended i try Ebay etc for any mechanical parts rather than order via Jeep, they are ridiculously expensive
Old 02-27-2008, 10:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee

honestly! Even the service manager unofficially recommended i try Ebay etc for any mechanical parts rather than order via Jeep, they are ridiculously expensive
personally i would recommend trying a local parts store, i probably wouldnt go through jeep for most of my parts.

-Kyle
Old 02-27-2008, 04:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Kyle Deidrick
personally i would recommend trying a local parts store, i probably wouldnt go through jeep for most of my parts.

-Kyle
X2, the only place I disagree is on sensors, TPS, O2, etc. FOr some reason it seems part store sensors are often problematic.
Old 06-29-2023, 03:17 AM

Default I got same problem on my zj. Did u find a fix?

When accelarating my Jeep reaches 2k rpm then seems to hit what feels like a limiter, nd anything above that takes a lifetime to accelerate. In 5th I can just top 60mph. Any ideas?

This only happened after the recent problems with cutting out, found that the gasket in the fuel filter chamber was leaking and the chamber was empty. Ran a bypass for 30 miles or so then fixed (needed to travel to get parts). It started happening when the bypass was on.

Feels like a lack of fuel, or air. Checked as many hoses as I can on the surface and all seem to be connected ok. And it's pretty much bang on 2000 revs when it happens.

In neutral it revs fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Hi there I've got the same problem with my zj. Wondering if you found a fix? Jon247barber@gmail.com

Quick Reply: Only reaches 2000 rpm