Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Oil pressure sender replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Inline V6
Default Oil pressure sender replacement?

I did an oil change a few months ago and somehow ended up breaking off the oil pressure sender/sensor. Didn't realize it at the time because I was kneeling above the oil filter and lost my balance and basically fell into the crevasse where the oil filter is accessible from the top. Didnt realize it was such a big deal, just figured it was more of an inconvience to not be able to read the oil pressure from my dash board. Either way I need to replace it today and my mechanic/teacher (lol my brother) isnt here to show me what to do. I found the sender and I have the replacement now Im just confused on what to do from here. Is it as easy as disconnecting the old sender and putting the new sender in its place? (kinda like replacing a window motor)
Old 01-24-2014, 11:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by jeep_chick87
I did an oil change a few months ago and somehow ended up breaking off the oil pressure sender/sensor. Didn't realize it at the time because I was kneeling above the oil filter and lost my balance and basically fell into the crevasse where the oil filter is accessible from the top. Didnt realize it was such a big deal, just figured it was more of an inconvience to not be able to read the oil pressure from my dash board. Either way I need to replace it today and my mechanic/teacher (lol my brother) isnt here to show me what to do. I found the sender and I have the replacement now Im just confused on what to do from here. Is it as easy as disconnecting the old sender and putting the new sender in its place? (kinda like replacing a window motor)
Just unscrew the old one and pop the new one in it's place. I wouldn't say it's comparable to replacing a window motor though, LOL, definitely much easier
Old 01-24-2014, 11:57 AM

lol that was just my only way of compairing at least the clip part but thanks. Guess if I can replace all 4 window motors I can manage this lol
Old 01-24-2014, 11:58 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by jeep_chick87
lol that was just my only way of compairing at least the clip part but thanks. Guess if I can replace all 4 window motors I can manage this lol
Definitely!
Old 01-24-2014, 02:47 PM

oh yeah.. i just did it in a parking lot in just a few minutes... unclip clip.. turn to the left... remove... turn to the right.. replace... replug in... good to go!
Old 01-24-2014, 03:03 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

One thing though! Buy a Mopar one. I bought a Napa Premium and it only reads 20 psi all the time. It read 35 on cold start at -15*F. It was made in Mexico. If yours is only one wire, you can use any, but the 3 wire ones use a printed circuit and a crystal.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:27 AM

Thanks by the way for the walkthrough turns out its so easy an idiot can do it! lol

Ok well I bought a new one and replaced it. Started it up and had the wait the usual few seconds for the gauge to get to its usual spot, turned the car off to close my hood and put things away in the garage. About 10 mins later Im ready to hit the road and the gauge doesn't move at all, and hasn't since.

What did I do wrong? The old one was literally just hanging from the clip with the nipply looking metal part that screws in still where it should be (I know suuuper technical jargon right?) and the plastic part of the sensor was exposed to whatever I drove through. (i.e. creeks, rain and SNOW GOD LOTS OF SNOW!)

I suck at electrical repairs mostly because I don't like to deal with it. Please tell me I don't have to totally replace the wiring or something!
Old 02-04-2014, 04:14 PM
CF Veteran

Double check the connector, and clean it up if necessary, and put it back together with some dielectric grease to keep the crud out.

Is the gauge reading max or minimum?
Old 02-06-2014, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by PocketsEmpty
Double check the connector, and clean it up if necessary, and put it back together with some dielectric grease to keep the crud out.

Is the gauge reading max or minimum?
its reading minimum.