Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

oil pressure after oil change

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 07:26 AM
pwb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default oil pressure after oil change

Changed my oil today, from Castrol half syntetic to Valvoline long mile. Had WIX oil filter, changed to MANN oil filter. The oil pressure is much more stable and higher. Is the pressure sensor before or after the filter? The old oil was 1 year old but not used many miles since the car is used maybe 1 time a week. The new oil and filter have higher pressure than the old oil and filter when that was new.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2004
Engine: 2000 4.0

Originally Posted by pwb
Changed my oil today, from Castrol half syntetic to Valvoline long mile. Had WIX oil filter, changed to MANN oil filter. The oil pressure is much more stable and higher. Is the pressure sensor before or after the filter? The old oil was 1 year old but not used many miles since the car is used maybe 1 time a week. The new oil and filter have higher pressure than the old oil and filter when that was new.
Sensor is downstream (after) of filter. New oil will be thicker for a few days until the polymers relax....sort of like a new polyester shirt.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:27 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

LOL! Are you old enough to remember polyester shirts? But you are right, I use Valvoline synthetic and the pressure is always higher on the restart while still in the store, but after a few days, returns to normal. I worked part-time for Valvoline for 13 years and usually get my changes done there. IDK who makes their filters, but I've only had 1 problem with a filter's pinch weld that was caught before I left the store.

Back in the late 90's, we had a problem with our filters. The large 3.5 inch Ford filters you could actually see expand on startup. Ashland replaced their supplier. I was told (hearsay) that WIX was the new supplier.

I worked "pit" for the most part, and you'd be surprised at everything that we do down there. While the oil is draining, we do a quick visual inspection of the bottom if the car and anything that looks out of place or broken is reported to the customer by the "topside" tech. At least it was when I worked for them. If the plug was "rough" coming out, it was inspected and/or replaced. Any plug with a separate gasket got a new one. On start-up, the filter was watched closely for leaks. We had a "call-out" procedure to follow, shouting loud enough for the customer to hear, but recently I haven't heard this unless the store is quiet and the doors are closed.

In case you were wondering, the "pit" area is a large room that is about the size of the upstairs store and is force ventilated. The floor above you is at least 12" thick concrete and will support a 10 ton dump truck. Before a new store is opened, it is actually tested with one, at least the Manlius store was. I personally have changed the oil on a Dodge Motorhome and a lawnmower.

Basically, I guess I'm trying to say I trust Valvoline to do the job right. While I was working for them, Ashland bought out all the Jiffy-lube stores in the Syracuse area. lol.

Last edited by dave1123; 12-23-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:05 PM
pwb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L I6

I have used Castrol on the last two oil changes and didnt get so high pressure as with valvoline. After i used the WIX filter the pressure was also going up and down, but now after changed to MANN filter the presure is more stable and isnt dropping under 3bar when driving, only on idle after its hot. If the filter had some issue and that is before the pressure sensor, that could be the problem with varying and low pressure? Another thing i did notice is that i could fill the wix filter with more oil and it didnt "drain" out of the filter as fast as with the mann filter when i should mount it. It looks like the mann filter has more flow?