Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Oil Pan leak or Rear Main Seal

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Oil Pan leak or Rear Main Seal

Can you guys check out this video and let me know what you think? There's alot of oil under there. It's a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Sport 4.0 Straight 6.

I was kinda hoping someone had maybe seen something this bad before and could save me some time by saying which one it is more likely to be.

Thanks.
BTW - sorry about the country accent. Im in Texas LOL

Last edited by shultzee13; 01-02-2014 at 01:28 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 88 limited
Engine: 4.0

With that all I can tell is you have an oil leak !
Old 01-02-2014, 01:37 PM

Yes sir. A downright nasty one too!
Old 01-02-2014, 05:45 PM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo
Default I hate oil leaks

But I don't have one.. not even a tiny one New valve cover gasket,(no cork!) new o-rings for the oil filter adapter, new rear main seal and a new one piece rubber oil pan gasket. I'd suggest a couple cans of engine degreaser sprayed liberally from top to bottom a day or two before a trip to the "you wash it" high pressure car wash. Bring a couple stiff brushes that will fit any cracks 'n crevices near or around any suspected leaks. Don't stuff $10 in there all at once, just a couple bucks at a time. That'll give you time to brush off thick built-up grime that's been accumulating over time in between high pressure washes. Get that puppy showroom clean! Do all this AFTER you've gathered the parts and are ready to start pluggin' those pesky leaks. Now you should be able to work on it w/o getting too awful grimy, and you'll easily see any existing leaks. Probably less than $100 and a lot of elbow grease (which won't even get on the engine) and your engine will be squeaky clean for years to come! Allow yourself a couple days or so to install all the parts. I've done it.. it was more time consuming than difficult. I'll bet you can do it too. Happy new year!
Old 01-02-2014, 06:20 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

kjc is right. The only way to tell where it's coming from is to clean it off first and then watch it as it runs. The best way is on a lift with a high pressure washer. Then let it idle while you stand underneath and watch. Your 2002 doesn't have an oil filter adapter so there isn't an o-ring to worry about. The valve cover can leak in the rear and run down the bellhousing and completely cover the bottom. When you replace the valve cover gasket, be sure your head oil drains are open. If they are not draining properly, oil can build up in the head higher than the gasket causing a leak.

If you're ever run over something hard, like ice, you could have shifted the oil pan enough to break the gasket's seal. Also, investigate the front crankshaft seal. The reason I mentioned running over something is because in the initial photo in your video, there seems to be a dent in the oil pan right next to the drain plug. Am I right?

Last edited by dave1123; 01-02-2014 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:02 PM

You are correct there is a dent in the oil drain.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:37 AM
Old fart with a wrench

My wife's Dodge Caravan had a huge dent in the oil pan because somebody tried to jack it up with it. I had to replace it because it was leaking badly and lost a quart of capacity. She got it cheap, though. I wonder why? Duh!
Old 01-03-2014, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by shultzee13
You are correct there is a dent in the oil drain.
i have already started the process as stated above... i started off on top with simple green... it keeps clean engines clean.. (as in you wash and maintain them regularly) but just not strong enough for my tough grime..

So i started using gunk... i used the foaming one.. its a light duty cleaner.. it did OK for the light stuff... but i had to switch to gunk original... its a medium duty cleaner.. and it was started really making a dent in all the old built up grime...

mine is a 96... and from the looks of it... i don't think anyone has washed my engine/undercarriage parts.. since 96

but good news is theres no rust!

he isnt lying about getting filthy.. i ruined a few shirts just messing around down under the jeep...

i used the car wash pressure washer.. and put it on high pressure rinse... and i used the normal pressure (no trigger squeeze) around delicate areas

but when it came to the block... i blasted that **** as best i could..

good luck!
Old 01-03-2014, 01:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 91
Engine: 4.0

Dollar store oven cleaner goes a long way for the price. Be sure to wear a breather mask and clothes that need to go into the trash.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:09 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993

Go to orielys and get a gallon of B52. Best degreaser made. $10 for a gallon and it lasts a long time. You mix with water in a sprayer. For really grimmy bolts , I place in small cup and soak in straight b52. Ten minutes and they are perfectly clean. No scrubbing at all!
Old 01-03-2014, 01:23 AM
Old fart with a wrench

I once bought a beater Chevy truck and the oil pan had about 1/4" of sludge stuck to the outside. I started scraping it with a putty knife and it got wetter! The pan was rusted thru and the grease was sealing it!

When I worked for Valvoline, I told anybody that had a rusted oil pan to scrape and paint it. They looked at me like I had two heads. How can something that holds oil rust thru? Only one customer did anything about his. He sprayed it with a heavy coat of Rustoleum. I wonder how that worked because he didn't scrape the flakes off first.