Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Odd noise

Old 02-02-2016, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Odd noise

When setting off, there's a regular clicking noise fron the front very much like a dodgy CV joint would make, turning the steering in either direction makes it more obvious, but it's still there in a straight line, relative to vehicle speed, and eventually seems to disappear. It's not an irregular click as if a couple of teeth have let go in the diff. All is reasonably quiet at speed until I ease off the accelerator pedal, then the noise described in the previous post begins, definitely not a bearing "howl" or a "whine". If I slip the box into neutral and coast to a standstill, the noise gradually reverts to the clicking sound until the Jeep stops.

I have had the Jeep up on a lift, there's no worn linkages, mounts or bushes (also just passed it's MOT). I can't find any play in the front propshaft (type 3).

I've been scouring the web, reading up on the various noises etc that can occur in diffs and driveshafts, but can't nail it down. My next course of action is I'm going to pop the front diff cover off with the front of the Jeep on axle stands so I can turn the wheels, to see if there's anything obviously wrong in there.

From what I can gather, the "droning" noise on deceleration can be usually caused by incorrect pinion shaft preload, or, worst-case, the inner pinion bearing. But after today's test drive, it's not really a drone (see above). Also, can't really hear anything with the windows down...weird!

So, has anyone here had any experience like this? Anyone got any ideas I can try out before I resort to a costly diff rebuild?

Both front wheel hub bearings are new, LH driveshaft CV joint new and RH driveshaft CV joint recently replaced.

Thanks in advance...
Old 02-03-2016, 06:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L

Welcome to CF!

"The Theory Of Last Rework" has served me well over the years. Did this odd noise begin before or shortly after the new CV joints and hubs?
Old 02-04-2016, 06:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Before. been there since I got it in December. just wasn't nearly as obvious due to both front wheel bearings being shot. Once they were replaced, everything is nice and quiet apart from the clicking.

Could the propshaft CV (type 3) be at fault?