Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Noisy engine? Vibrations from the front.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Noisy engine? Vibrations from the front.

I brought my 99 Cherokee in about a week or so ago to have a new radiator Fan installed, we had recently changed the radiator so wanted to cover all of our bases. When I took it in for the Fan replacement, they also changed the relay switch, Lower hose and did a tune up.
A few days later my husband noticed a distinct vibration coming from the front end. It only happened once. This morning, I took the Jeep into I had just come down a large hill and began accelerating (30-35 wasn't brave enough to push her more then that) , when a loud noise, not unlike a Jackhammer came from my front end. It's important to note, there was no lagging, power loss, acceleration loss of any type. All my gauges read fine. I pulled in to a very convenient auto shop, they took it for drive using speeds up to 55 and could not reproduce the noise. They then took me with them on another drive again no reproduction of the sound. The vehicle drove fine the remainder of the day. This evening however, she is noisy a whirrrrring, vibrating noise from up front. It seems to go away at high speeds (maybe because my cab is noisy?). But I want to note that the fan that was installed sounds like a Jet engine engaging from a distance it's loud and I don't know if this is the problem but I could use some advice as I am about to leave for a very long trip with my family and it seems that everyone is ready to suck us dry to fix things. The last people quoted us 400, we ended up paying close to a thousand for a fan, a relay and a tune up.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:41 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by Laredogirl
I brought my 99 Cherokee in about a week or so ago to have a new radiator Fan installed, we had recently changed the radiator so wanted to cover all of our bases. When I took it in for the Fan replacement, they also changed the relay switch, Lower hose and did a tune up.
A few days later my husband noticed a distinct vibration coming from the front end. It only happened once. This morning, I took the Jeep into I had just come down a large hill and began accelerating (30-35 wasn't brave enough to push her more then that) , when a loud noise, not unlike a Jackhammer came from my front end. It's important to note, there was no lagging, power loss, acceleration loss of any type. All my gauges read fine. I pulled in to a very convenient auto shop, they took it for drive using speeds up to 55 and could not reproduce the noise. They then took me with them on another drive again no reproduction of the sound. The vehicle drove fine the remainder of the day. This evening however, she is noisy a whirrrrring, vibrating noise from up front. It seems to go away at high speeds (maybe because my cab is noisy?). But I want to note that the fan that was installed sounds like a Jet engine engaging from a distance it's loud and I don't know if this is the problem but I could use some advice as I am about to leave for a very long trip with my family and it seems that everyone is ready to suck us dry to fix things. The last people quoted us 400, we ended up paying close to a thousand for a fan, a relay and a tune up.
I may be off here but ill give you something to check. For one.. The fan will be fairly noisy... Your probably just used to the old one.. Which probably had a worn out clutch that didn't engage as well as the new one. It took me a while to get used to hearing mine actually work when I replaced it.

You say you just had the radiator replaced, now the fan.. Check to make sure that the fan isn't hitting the radiator or fan shroud. This happened to me on my 95..and it would happen most often when the motor was under a load... When it's under a load the motor shifted causing the fan to rub the rad/shroud... And since these two things were just serviced you never know.

I could be way off here but that's a decent place to start not knowing anything else..

Last edited by NewJerseyXJ609; 03-07-2013 at 11:44 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:51 PM

Default Rad Shroud

Thanks NewJersey! It's a place to start and likely one that one cost me anything if it's the problem since we are under work/parts warranty. I will see if they can get me in tomorrow as a place to start.