Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

No Lights - Gauge, AC/Radio, Console, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default No Lights - Gauge, AC/Radio, Console, etc.

Hi all. Newbie to the forum here...so be gentle

IN all seriousness, glad I found this forum. Trying to squeeze every bit of life I can from my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee (6cyl, 220k miles) because I dont want/need another car payment.

Just this morning, I noticed when I hit unlock, the interior lights did not come on. Also, the dash and other interior lights (i.e. gauge panel, AC/radio, gear shift) were out when I cranked up the car and turned the headlights on. The overhead light worked when I pressed it, but not when I opened door or cranked up car. Gauges work, AC and radio all work. Just when headlights turned on, nothing lights up.

Could this be a fuse issue? Wiring issue? Combination of both?

Thanks all! Any insight would greatly help!

(For what it's worth, I am fairly handy...I've replaced window actuator, power steering hose, etc. before).
Old 10-07-2016, 03:33 PM

Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by saeapp
Hi all. Newbie to the forum here...so be gentle

IN all seriousness, glad I found this forum. Trying to squeeze every bit of life I can from my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee (6cyl, 220k miles) because I dont want/need another car payment.

Just this morning, I noticed when I hit unlock, the interior lights did not come on. Also, the dash and other interior lights (i.e. gauge panel, AC/radio, gear shift) were out when I cranked up the car and turned the headlights on. The overhead light worked when I pressed it, but not when I opened door or cranked up car. Gauges work, AC and radio all work. Just when headlights turned on, nothing lights up.

Could this be a fuse issue? Wiring issue? Combination of both?

Thanks all! Any insight would greatly help!

(For what it's worth, I am fairly handy...I've replaced window actuator, power steering hose, etc. before).
UPDATE
Talked to my dad...he is thinking it could be the actual headlight switch, or at a minimum a loose/faulty wire in that area.

The dash/console/radio/etc lights go 'out' when I turn the headlights on (headlights still work).
Old 10-07-2016, 08:30 PM

Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

ive had issues with my headlight switch , i got one from the junk yard, it worked for awhile then started doing the same thing, lights would flash , i believe they are known for bad solder joints from the factory.
Old 10-08-2016, 07:25 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

On your 01, all the interior lighting goes thru the Body Control Module, I believe. If you're interested, you can download a Full Service Manual for $7.99+tax from pacificcoastmanuals.com. It's 93 mbs of compressed pdf files and has everything you'd ever want to know about your specific year jeep, including extensive wiring diagrams, diagnostic procedures, component locations, and how to access them. It's the best $8 you're ever going to spend. It describes each of the systems and how they function. You can print out the sections you need, get them greasy, and throw them away when you're done, or not!