Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Newbie Needs some advice :)

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2003
Model: Grand Cherokee
Cool Newbie Needs some advice :)

hey guys,

I'm Trev - new here!
i'm shopping at the moment for a WJ. I live in Melborne Australia, and do a lot of city/country driving, but also surf and would like to do some country trails etc.

Does anyone have any advice on what i should specifically look for in a WJ model? or pitfalls to avoid? Most i've seen have done between 70 and 150 000kms - so i wonder about what kinda mileage i'm gonna have issues at too........

Cheers
Old 12-28-2008, 08:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

GOnna move your post to Grand Cherokee Chat you may get more assisstance over there.

Oh yeah and welcome to CF
Old 01-01-2009, 03:44 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L 6cyl. WJ
Thumbs down Don't Do It Trev!

Trev,

If you haven't already bought the WJ, my advice would be to pick something else. I bought mine new and traded in my 90 Laredo which after 130,000 miles only had a bad catalytic converter.

The '01 has been a nightmare. The only wise thing I did was to choose the 4.0L 6 engine (same as I had in the 90). Everything around it has failed from window motors to battery harness, now the tranny...a real POS.

Yet my Honda CRV is perfect at 120,000 miles. This will be my last Jeep.

Last edited by gr8mobile; 01-03-2009 at 06:38 AM. Reason: mispelling
Old 01-01-2009, 03:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0L, 63mm TB, FIPK, Gibson Exhaust

Originally Posted by gr8mobile
Trev,

If you haven't already bought the WJ, my advise would be to pick something else. I bought mine new and traded in my 90 Laredo which after 130,000 miles only had a bad catalytic converter.

The '01 has been a nightmare. The only wise thing I did was to choose the 4.0L 6 engine (same as I had in the 90). Everything around it has failed from window motors to battery harness, now the tranny...a real POS.

Yet my Honda CRV is perfect at 120,000 miles. This will be my last Jeep.
dude sounds like you got a lemon, there are a lot of good stories out htere, every car maker has some that come off the line with issues. Sorry to hear you had bad luck but don't bash them based on one experience.

That being said, the Limiteds do have some issues with the blend doors on the automatic zone heat control. The Laredos do not have this issue at all. Some have had window regulators go bad as well. The heater fix is expensive, the windows are easy do it yourself and are pretty cheap. Other than that if you do porper maintenance they will last a long time.

The I6 is bullet proof. The V8 appears to be pretty solid as well, some are starting to get significant miles on the.

WJJEEPS.COM is a great place to find out all about the different years and models.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:06 PM

Default When Driving a Lemon, Make Lemonade

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...herokee+lemons

tsconver,

Thanks for the advice, but I'm a second decade Jeeper and have watched the quality slide down hill. I'll hang on to this '01 until the maintenance or my desire to crawl under the hood has been exhaused.

It's not just my '01 that's a lemmon, remember the '07's when the Germans put their tranny in it and had to recall them all for overheating?

I got lucky with my '90 because they shoved a Mitsubishi tranny in it to offset the previous model's deficiencies.

The 6 is a hearty beast of an engine, but it's got it's problems too, as compared to a Honda engine that requires almost 0 maintenance. True, a CRV isn't the 4x4 I'd take to war, but I sure enjoy packing it with snowb oards.

Txs for your thoughts, this is a good forum. =)
Old 01-01-2009, 08:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

who comes on a jeep forum to bash jeeps and tell people not to buy them?..most 8 year old vehicles with 100k will require some work at some point....i on the other hand highly recommend a dub i have loved the ones i've owned (as well as my x and zj's) i had a 4.7 with full time that was a great rig but right now i'm lovin my 4.0 with the selec-trac
Old 01-01-2009, 10:20 PM
Seasoned Member

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...herokee+lemons

tsconver,

Thanks for the advice, but I'm a second decade Jeeper and have watched the quality slide down hill. I'll hang on to this '01 until the maintenance or my desire to crawl under the hood has been exhaused.

It's not just my '01 that's a lemmon, remember the '07's when the Germans put their tranny in it and had to recall them all for overheating?

I got lucky with my '90 because they shoved a Mitsubishi tranny in it to offset the previous model's deficiencies.

The 6 is a hearty beast of an engine, but it's got it's problems too, as compared to a Honda engine that requires almost 0 maintenance. True, a CRV isn't the 4x4 I'd take to war, but I sure enjoy packing it with snowb oards.

Txs for your thoughts, this is a good forum. =)
LOL, try this one, gets just as many hits and complaints, http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&r...ns&btnG=Search

Old 01-02-2009, 12:33 AM

thanks for the help guys....

but a little too late in some ways - i have bought myself a WJ Limited 2000 model - maroon in color with 140 000 kms on the clock - V8 version.

I pick it up next week and will post some pics too - and let you know how it goes.....has a nudge bar and driving lights on it too, and spent AU$8700 - about $3900 US....
Old 01-02-2009, 08:39 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by trevmanox

but a little too late in some ways - i have bought myself a WJ Limited 2000 model - maroon in color with 140 000 kms on the clock - V8 version.

I pick it up next week and will post some pics too - and let you know how it goes.....has a nudge bar and driving lights on it too, and spent AU$8700 - about $3900 US....
that is a great price for a dub with only 70k miles on it. Get the history, find out what has been done to it and immediately do all of the maintenance. Engine oil, transmission service (use ATF+4 only), 4 wheel drive service (if quadratrac or quadradrive use Mopar fluid in transfer case), spark plugs, air filter, wiper blades, brakes.

Insist on ATF+4 for the tranny none of the ATF compatible crap that the lube joints claim is ok, it will ruin the tranny.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: 5.2

Originally Posted by trevmanox

I would say you made a good choice. I am a big V8 Fan. I have a couple of these 4.7 and just find them really nice power and torque. I wish you the best and stick around, show us those pics.
We all love pics
Old 01-03-2009, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by seed
who comes on a jeep forum to bash jeeps and tell people not to buy them?..most 8 year old vehicles with 100k will require some work at some point....i on the other hand highly recommend a dub i have loved the ones i've owned (as well as my x and zj's) i had a 4.7 with full time that was a great rig but right now i'm lovin my 4.0 with the selec-trac
lol, sorry I mistook this for a forum where you could express both positive and negative opinions. From now on I'll watch what I say so as not to offend the sensitive.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:09 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

lol, sorry I mistook this for a forum where you could express both positive and negative opinions. From now on I'll watch what I say so as not to offend the sensitive.
hahaha, there are hardcore jeep fanatics on these forums,thats what they're for, so expect some backlash when you call jeeps pieces of s**t and saying you'll never buy one again.....i've seen guys ripped apart for much less on other forums
Old 01-05-2009, 03:25 PM

Default Not an Abuser

Originally Posted by seed
hahaha, there are hardcore jeep fanatics on these forums,thats what they're for, so expect some backlash when you call jeeps pieces of s**t and saying you'll never buy one again.....i've seen guys ripped apart for much less on other forums
You're right, guess I'm lucky I'm still in one piece....actually I loved my 90 Laredo. It's just that the '01 has so failed to measure up.

Some of my friends say it's because my '90 spent 60% of it's life offroad, the '01 putts to and from the supermarket...I'm told I failed to abuse it, Jeeps like to be abused. As an owner, I guess I'm just a failure. lol
Old 01-26-2009, 01:20 PM

ok...picked her up - very happy so far, but the service book has a large gap from 70 000kms to about 120 000kms...hmmmm

anyhow, pics attached......
Attached Thumbnails Newbie Needs some advice :)-e2fd_3.jpg   Newbie Needs some advice :)-e35a_3.jpg  
Attached Images