Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

newbie needs front brake help asap

Old 02-13-2012, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default newbie needs front brake help asap

so i decided to do the front bake pads and rotors on my 95 grand cherokee limited yesterday. did they driver side fine. On the passenger side I broke one of the caliper bolts in the mount. it is flush in there. I tried to use and extractor with no luck. Then i decided to drill it out and like the idiot i am i drilled it off center and left the bottom 1/4 of the bolt still in the mount. I tapped the hole anyway hoping it would break out the rest of the bolt. didn't work. i tried drill out the rest of with no luck. I think i may have screwed myself because I think I made the hole to big now and I still cant get the bolt lined up with the caliper on. I guess now my hope is i can still use a helicoil but I have to get the rest of that bolt out. Any ideas? I really don't have enough of it to hit it with a chisel, I tried. anyone know what size bit I would need for the helicoil? I'm hoping that it's big enough I can get the rest of that bolt out with it. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Go to the boneyard and get a whole knuckle assembly, you don't want the buggered up caliper hole causing a huge problem down the road.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

well I'm back on the road for now. I used a tee nut with the caliper bolt along with some red loctite. It seems to be holding. I bought a round file to get the rest of the old bolt out of the hole and it seemed to work fine. I'll keep an eye on it for now, i can easily reach around the front wheel and feel the bolt to check if it's coming loose. I think I might actually be able to still use a helicoil but i have to double check what the size of the hole is suppose to be for the insert. I even disabled the loud antenna motor.