Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

New project advise 98 GC 5.2L

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L
Question New project advise 98 GC 5.2L

I am about to build up my 1998 JGC 5.2L with factory Up Country. It has been my everyday ride and work ride for 6 years now. I bought it with 135000 on it and have racked it up to 240000 to date. I am beginning to have to replace tons of small things in the front end. I have loose steering and it wanders a little. This is new. Many new parts to try to fix it but to no avail. I am thinking that I will build it up (something I have wanted to do for years) I will fix the problem in the process. I have 30" tires and have recently replaced the lower arm bushings, stabilizer shock, and ball joints. It is now to the point that most of the stuff in there is new so it is hard to find the issue. I have driven this jeep like it was built to be driven, hard and offroad. I still need to replace all the wheel bearings, all shocks, and the traction bar. The engine has been bulletproof as it is still 100% stock parts aside from radiator, thermostat, water pump, and all pullys.

I want to put an additional 2" on but dont want to replace the up country springs as they ride and flex amazingly and allow me to clear 32" tires with minimal rub only when turning hard while going over a bump at medium speed. I want to put 33" on. Also do I need to do a transfer case drop for this much extra height as it already is higher with the UC springs. I also want to get new more robust stabilizer bars. I hear the Addco ones are the best. What size though?

Keep in mind this is my everyday driver. I only go 2 MI to work so mileage is not a factor other than trips. Any recommendations on any of these parts is greatly appreciated as I dont have any real knowledge of suspention systems. Im learning though and have figured my basic needs.