Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

New member and lug nut question

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 05:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default New member and lug nut question

Morning all,

I just joined the forum as I collected a '96 ZJ this weekend to get me through the winter.

It's in great condition but it's got a binding front brake and I had a problem getting the wheel off to fix it.

The ordinary wheel nuts/ lug nuts came off OK but the locking one was a problem. I got the cover off it but there's no key/ socket in the car.

I tried to find a socket that fitted tight enough but they all had too much play and started rounding off the nut.

I had a look online and I found a reference to an 18.5mm hex as being the right size. Is that correct?

Is there a standard locking lug nut on a '96 Grand Cherokee? I tried a search of old threads but couldn't find anything.

I'm going to drop into my local workshop to see if they have something to get it off otherwise I'll have to try to buy something as I can't shift it without.

Cheers!

IanE
Old 12-02-2013, 07:10 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

The easiest way to get it off is to weld a 1/2" Ford nut to the top of it and then take it off with a wrench. NOT an impact because it will probably break the weld. Then throw it away and use a regular lug nut.